Tempest or Champion

Was wondering from Experience from others Which is highly recommended from you Guys/Gals Tempest or Champion? I changed my plugs about 100 hours ago from Tempest to Champion because thats all i could get locally at the time. Seems like when engine warms up over time that engine seems to vibrate a little. Was going to change back to Tempest next week and see if there is a difference. Has anyone else experience this when changing the plugs? Timing and points Checked good.

Comments

• Hi Lenny,
    This is a really good question and I'm embarrassed to say that after 50+ years of flying, I don't know! I'll tell you what I'll do; I'll send this topic off to our A&P Erich Rempert and have him weigh in. Stand by!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Our association A&P, Erich Rempert, has a personal preference to Tempest. Good luck!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I am an Aussie AP equivalent and for what it’s worth I only use tempest plugs. It sounds barmy but I believe I can hear engines run smoother on tempest yet all it does is make a spark. Maybe it’s me that’s barmy??
    I only use champion filters however
  • Hi and thanks for the update. I'd say you have a "gift" for engines :) Keep on using it!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I have read on the savvy aviator site that the champion plugs have an impedance issue brought on by cheap internal parts. So even though it is just a spark not all sparks are as bright.

• I have seen the light! And it is Tempest :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• the new Champion plugs appear to be better, the old ones with the suspect resistance have the screwdriver slot down the bottom of the HT lead hole, the new ones have no screwdriver slot and seem to be ok. time will tell

• Thanks so much for the update.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!