Bought 1968 PA-28-235

Just joined the group of Piper owners. Bought a PA-28-235 last month and so far meets every expectation I have. Having trained in 172’s and Archer’s it’s definitely a more capable plane. I’ve been collecting questions so I’m sure I’ll be posting more soon as I get to know the plane better. It has been upgraded to dual Aspens, engine monitor, 430w and stec 55x so that’s where my learning is now. It has the Lycoming O-540 B4B5 and figuring out how to safely run LOP. Prior owners had some carbon build up on valves running ROP at 16-18gph. I find if I’m above 8000 I can either run ROP 16hph at 139kts or LOP 12gph 128kts. At LOP the #2 CHT stabilizes highest at 382 and wonder if this is still safe. I’d like to cruise high and LOP to get 10+mpg. Any feedback on running the carbureted O-540 would be helpful. Also I’m in the middle of my IFR training and need to get a subscription for the G430 but I’d also like to keep the Aspen updated. I’m wondering if there’s a way to combine subscription products from Jeppesen. I’m new to Aspen so still learning all it’s capabilities but would be great if I can load the approach plates directly on the MFD or PFD.

Comments

• Your plane is amazing, inside and out. Very nice job! Re: Jepp, I've been using them for about 15 years for subscriptions. I just checked the website and you should be able to combine Garmin and Aspen into one monthly payment. Regarding your 382 degree #2 cylinder, check your POH and/or engine manual. Both of those should give your the safe range. On my Seneca, for example, the max cylinder temp is 475 and on my Arrow it's 400 degrees. 382 is getting close but still safe. I've never run LOP and I'm interested in what others are doing. This is a very interesting conversation and I'm hoping others will voice their comments, too.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I recently bought a 1965 PA 28 235. Your engine and airframe qualify for the mogas STC. and I have been running mogas without any problems. I am wondering what fuel you are running, and am curious if there is any difference in CHT between avgas and mogas.

Next month I will have the engine monitor installed and I will post if there are any CHT temps between the 2 fuels. I realize you are asking about LOP and CHT, I can't find an answer why LOP is risky other than a rough running engine. Most of the info I have read shows lower CHT at lower power settings and LOP.

I have been told the Lycoming 235 B4B5 has a max CHT temp of 425 but I haven't looked it up in the POH so that info could be wrong....

Very nice plane!

Lurch

Lurch59

• Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to seeing the temps after you install the engine monitor. Stay warm!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• With the high useful load of the 235 has anyone heard of either putting in a 60/40 rear seat or 3 seatbelts? You could fit 3 smaller people or kids across or even put 2 kids in one seatbelt. I guess it’s more a question of if it’s legal to do so or does the original airplane specs define passenger limits.
  • My guess is that the original type certificate isn't for a five place airplane but you can check the FAA website for the type certificate to see for sure. Adding a fifth seat would likely require a DER (designated engineering rep) and cost a few thousand dollars. If the airplane had come out with a 60/40 bench seat at one time that probably wouldn't be a problem, however. Check with your AI.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!