Ice gone, Hangar doors open, Arrow still there! What a struggle this year in Wisconsin, lol.

After five days of chopping ice in front of my sliding hangar doors the doors finally opened. And there was my Arrow, looking great! Except that there was two inches of ice across the entire length and breadth of the hangar. The tires were frozen to the ground, the extension cords where frozen in the ice and my battery tender was totally covered in ice. The GFCI circuit breaker in my hangar had popped and the charger stopped charging (no surprise there, lol). After ten hours of melting ice with a torpedo heater and chopping more ice, I got the tires cleared and the tug loosened up. I used a hammer and a large screw driver to chop out the batter y tender, ran another extension cord and plugged it in. I expected nothing because it had been sealed in frozen water. However, it had not leaked and it started charging immediately. Unbelievable. I finally got the plane out of the hangar and it started in two blade turns. It warmed up fine and all of the avionics worked okay. I still have another week of chopping or melting to get the hangar back to normal unfortunately, but all is well. I'm planning on flying tomorrow for the first time since December 22. I can't wait! Till then, a few more Ibuprofen, please.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Nice work! I went 6 weeks between flights earlier this winter and was surprised at how everything started up and worked just fine. Good news for you is that it is supposed to be in the 50's all next week and nature should help get the rest of it melted.

I may take the kids for a joyride tomorrow morning, so I will listen for you around southeastern WI!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Great news Scott, time to go enjoy. :)

• This was a tough winter to fly much in Wisconsin. I got a few flights in around the first two weeks of January and the sky turned awful for at least 6 weeks after that. I got my 180 back up last week Friday or so.

Jim

• I'm hoping to fly tomorrow morning. I warmed it up and topped it off (and checked the oil) yesterday. A really good pre-flight check tomorrow and then a test flight.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I cleared the remaining snow from my hangar INTERIOR (strong winds!) and took the Arrow out for a spin...planned to, anyway. Got over the snow and ice in the sub-taxiway to the main taxiway only to see airport vehicles driving up and down the runway throwing "rooster-tails" of slush. They were breaking up the ice and snow on the runway. Talked with the lead on the radio who asked if I had checked NOTAMS (which I had and there were none). Turns out a NOTAM filed yesterday expired and wasn't renewed! Could have taken off (short-field technique) but landing would have put me into a 6 inch slushy mess about 2000 feet down the runway (runway is 6000 feet, field elevation 6900) Decided to bag it until our solar powered runway clearing finished the job!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Wow, Jim, sounds like a day to get back into bed and sleep in, lol. I finally got up in my Arrow yesterday. Great first flight in almost 3 months. I hope you get the same experience really soon! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Yup! Had a nice flight today...snow all gone from the runway and only a little in spots on the taxiways. Temp in high 40's and light winds (13G19) for a change!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• I feel bad for you guys. I did get to subfreezing temps, but it was up around 9,000'. It was around 60 on the ground.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• Scott and Jim: pilots again! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!