IFR Training and Preparation

Well all,

It looks like I have firm dates for redeployment, some money in the bank, permission from "the banker", approved leave from my commander, AND found a very good instructor for my IFR Training - Executive Flight Training from Mr. Doug Carmody.

Any advice you have as to preparation?

What do you wish you knew before you took lessons?

What do you wish you didn't overlook during lessons?

Has anyone flown with Doug?

Do you have any feedback?

Martin

Comments

• During your training, get actual if at all possible. See if your CFI will watch the weather and get you up in actual. You will find that most of the training will surround approaches. They will just expect that you can keep it right side up for en route. Do some actual night approaches along with daytime ones. Try to go on days where the ceiling is 1000' or a little less.

There is no foggle that can duplicate breaking out where you need to quickly transition from instruments to visual. Popping out at night is very nice and rewarding. Also, on a moonlit night... it is very interesting to be above an overcast layer, dive in, and then break out. Bright, dark, bright...

I fly with a WAAS 530, so as far as tile flying I think I am spoiled. I do have a healthy respect for weather and Murphy's Law... so I have NEXRAD in the cockpit and an electric backup AI. For single pilot IFR, I might suggest an auto-pilot too, although there are some white knuckled folks on this forum that might think I'm a wimp for that.

Have fun.
  • I was signed uptodo his IFR course this past june and before i went down he informed me that he was retiring from providing IFR training anymore. Have you checked lately? Maybe he pulled a Bret Farve?
  • I did the one-week wonder at GATTS in Kansas last year and highly recommend it if you can handle immersion training. You have to have the written passed first but there's still some ground school and lots of flying. It's intense and you're constantly focussed on flying -- not much time for anything else! I flew in on a Friday night, started the following morning, and flew home with my IR the following Saturday. Have had some pretty good experience in IMC since then and the training really works!

www.gatts.org
  • Martin,

You initially want to practice flying approaches with an instructor, but when the weather is VFR (as it often is in San Diego) and my instructor is not available, I will often fly practice GPS/VOR/LOC approaches at a fixed higher altitude (not so good for ILS...). I will radio ATC with my intention, and they are very cooperative, usually assigning me a squak code for flight following. Still need to look out the window, but at least someone else is keeping an eye on me. Or bring along a passenger for another set of eyes.

After several years of IFR flying, I still find the most challenging aspect of flying IFR approaches is to be "ahead of the curve", i.e. entering the HDG bug, VOR frequencies, CDI, next altitude, Missed approach info, etc. IN ADVANCE. This gives you time to confirm you are on the right lateral course.

Make, test and use an approach checklist!

Once you are comfortable at fixed level, move up and start making a habit of requesting "practice" approaches when conditions are VFR. Practice, practice, practice. Once again, ATC will usually be very cooperative. I recommend using "not so busy" towered airports, as at non-towered airports you will have to be very alert for VFR traffic flying standard VFR patterns, who will not understand what you are doing...

Even though I am now IFR rated, about every 3 months I still plan a flight with my instructor where we will shoot 4-5 challenging approaches in one outing.