Ice on runway

This morning I cancelled a pleasure flight because the airport was NOTAMed with ice on the runway with poor braking action. A visual check of the runway confirmed about 40-50% coverage with packed ice and snow. Otherwise, a severe clear day. Runway length is 3500 feet, so plenty for my Saratoga. Too conservative? How much runway ice is too much?

Comments

• I suppose that would depend on your training and obstacles at either end. I trained at a 1900' strip in a 140 in southern Wisconsin. One day I showed up to fly after a major ice storm...runway was glare ice with NO bare spots. I had what I consider the best instructor in the business. He stated that we can do this, plan as if you have no brakes. Taxi was a very slow creep, turns were sometimes done with a blast from the prop against the rudder. Approach was hanging on stall and landing was at FULL stall. We slid to a stop with about 100' remaining. Decision point was mid field if were weren't sliding to a stop fast enough..go around. No obstacles at the end to worry about....Just because I was able to do it back then doesn't mean I would want to make a habit of it..But if I absolutely had to I know I could...
  • 81TogaR

I would take off in the Saratoga with a 3,500 foot runway no problem, but if I had to come back to this ap and runway the same day, no way would attempt it with those conditions.