Recommendations for Cleaning and Waxing my Plane

Hello All,

I am completing the annual and want to do more than just wash the plane. I want it to sparkle and look slick. What are my next steps to removing oxydation and protection and shine? What do you recommend and why? I've heard that some silicons leach into the aluminum and others just aren't worth the effort.

I've washed it many times, but haven't polished or waxed it for at least 2 1/2 years - granted, I was deployed a lot during that time and she was hangared.

The white (Matterhorn White) is oxydizing while the metalic green looks fine. I cleaned the bottom with both Avgas and then Spartan MD-20. WOW! didn't look so bad, but a lot of work, especially around the antennae.

I am not adverse to work, but I want to do it right and get the most out of my efforts to protect and show off my plane.

Thank you,

Martin

Comments

• My A&P gave me a bottle of a product called Dri Wash n Guard. I put in on the faded Madrid Red wing and stabilator tips and they are glossy almost like new. I tried it on much of the rest of the plane and was very impressed. Went by today, in part to make sure my aching back didn't influence last night's perception. They were still looking bright and slick. Just spray it on and wipe off the haze, firm rubbing but not hard using a Terry cloth rag. I also did the cowling top and got it shining again.
  • I have used Arrow Magnolia's Aero Glaze dry wash followed by Top Gun (recommended by Aviation Consumer). Both are available from Aircraft Spruce. Effective, but a lot of work.
  • SkyRite 3-30 is a great belly degreaser and engine compartment cleaner. I also use it to clean out the wheel wells. It can be used in whatever concentration the job requires and is easy on/easy off. Got turned on to it by my I&A who is a full time airframe mechanic who maintains King Airs for the Navy. They use this stuff on their contract.
  • Does anyone know of or use a product called F11? Wondering if it's safe for use on aircraft? Thx
  • Not heard of it.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Top Coat F-11. I have been using it on the cars and my plane, even the windscreens. My plane looked like it was freshly painted when I bought it but the F-11 makes it sparkle, also seems to make getting the bugs off easier too.
    Be careful setting things on the wings though because they will slide off way too easily!

• Thanks Ray, I have to look into it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Interesting stuff here. I have a 180 that was painted in 96, (Jet-Glo) and has been hangared every since. Before we bought the aircraft, I believe someone either clay bared it, or applied ceramic type of coating to the paint. Not sure the after affects, but it literally looks so dull, one would think that its been outside for 30 years. I recently tried Flitz wax/polish with a wool buffing pad, and it is starting to shine in the areas I have polished. A lot of work, but the results are great. Nothing else has worked on it. Even tried the Wash wax stuff, Etc. Whatever is on there, is harder than woodpecker lips...

• Watch out for that little stubby transponder antenna on the forward bottom fuse when your waxing. It is easy to break and a real pain to replace.
    Austin

• Hi Austin, and don't forget to say it's a "real pain" with amplification! Been there! Scrapes all over my wrists to prove it.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I have a 1980 Archer II. It was painted in 96 and hangared, the paint looked great but I could see that it had some haze and oxidation. First I used a Griot's Garage orbital polisher with polishing compound. It made it better but did not cut through the haze completely. I asked an individual that reconditions planes for guidance. He said the orbital polisher does not cut as much as a regular circular polisher. He said you need to be extra careful on the rivets etc.
    I did that and it did a great job. After compounding I used Rejex to seal it. Rejex is available at Spruce.
    I have had many compliments on the shine. People can't believe the paint is that old. The bugs clean off easily.

• You will find a small 1" paint brush cut half off or a tooth brush will be helpful around rivets. I have just used auto Turtle wax and hand waxed it. A lot of ugly work for sure.
    Austin

• I always bring a friend when I'm cleaning my plane. His name is Jack :) Jack Daniels.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Check out a product by Malco Chemical called Rejuvenator. It works wonders on dull and oxidized surfaces.

• edited September 2019

I know Jack...he’s a friend of Johnny Walker :D

• Ha! Too funny. :) "I get a little help from my friends!"

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I use Blackfire products and found it better than anything else I've used. Jack helps me as well.

• I use 3M boat wax.
  • Jack creeps up in the most unlikely places, doesn't he? I'll look into blackfire products. Where do you get them?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!