Takeoff - P Factor

I recently transitioned from a P28 to a Saratoga (P32R-301). Great plane - joy to fly. But takeoff has suddenly become a challenge. I find that when I reach 50-60 KTS on the runway, I'm having a hard time keepine the nose pointed straight, and I feel like I'm "dancing" on the rudder pedals trying to hold the centerline. I wonder if I'm keeping the front wheel on the ground too long, and whether I should be "rotating" (not taking off, but "rotating") sooner so the last 500-1000 feet or so of the takeoff run are on the mains only. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Comments

• My guess would be....only a guess.... at that speed the nose wheel is hunting or has a slight shimmy. At 55-60 MPH there should be sufficient aerodynamicforces in play to keep the airplane tracking straight with proper rudder input. The added weight of a larger engine up front directly over the nose wheel versus the PA-28's smaller engine and weight would produce a notable difference in handling.

Try exactly what you said. Lighten the load on it by holding some back pressure during the takeoff roll. Be ready for a premature liftoff.

Hope this helps.

Bob.
  • Are you cranking in enough rudder trim? The transition from a pa28 to a 32 is a fairly easy one, but the increased weight and horsepower is definately an eye opener. I rarely used rudder trim on takeoff with my archer, the saratoga is a different story. Almost full right trim is necessary for me unless I want to stand on the rudder pedal. Try cranking it in more than you expect to need and see if that helps.