high oil temperature on PA32-300

have high oil temperature problems with my PA32-300 . have checked everything but still operates on maximum and specially during climing goes all the way to red section
any body have suggestion what more to search ??

Comments

• I made sure all the excessive holes in the engine baffles that were not used were pluged to get the flow of air to where it was supposed to go. Stayed with a 100w oil. Mixture rich. Cruse climb to 105-110 kts.
    Not really sure the oil had something to do with it, but the baffles sure seemed to help. I will be installing a new EMG that has oil temp.

We O.Hauled an engine in a 172 that sat for a few years that had that problem come to find out the inside of the oil cooler was cloged. They bought a new one with out me knowing. I took the cloged one to my radator shop and had it boiled and cleaned and is now on a 172

I don't know if this is the answer. It just my personal experience

BTW does anybody have any experience with 2-1/4" engine moniters

Leonard
  • And of course any 'winterization' plate has long ago been removed? Other than that I'd double check baffles & cooler integrity as mentioned.
  • I would check the vernatherm. If it is operating properly carefully examine the seats.
  • Baffle Seals
    With the top cowl installed, take a flash light, and look up inside the front air intakes to see if the baffle seals are making a good seal to the top of the cowl. When I first bought my Six, the old baffle material had completely collapsed, causing the cooling to be very inefficient.

Baffle gaps
    Use RTV to fill in any holes and gaps around the baffles. A small hole, say the diameter of a pencil, will degrade the cooling performance by a lot.

Oil Coolers
    You can get these overhauled or simply cleaned. You may want to check the vernatherm first to see if that is not stuck open (or is it closed?) causing the oil not to be going through the oil coolers. Check the seal around the edge of the cooler with the baffle for a good seal. If you need to overhaul the coolers, then send them somewhere like Pacific Oil Coolers (http://www.oilcoolers.com) they will ultrasonic clean, re-plate, repair etc your cooler and you will get an improved performance from them.

Oil Temperature sensor
    If you are just relying on the original oil temperature transducer - I would verify that this is reporting correctly. If possible install another oil temperature sensor (say a JPI one integrated in to their EDM engine monitor, or a EI etc).

The biggest change, and cheapest to accomplish, in my opinion, was the baffle and baffle seals.

My two and a half cents!

Andy
  • Thanks Andy great help !!!