Noob Question-Engine replacement

I am completely new to certified aircraft etc so please forgive a very simple question. Is there any flexibility in which model engine is used to replace one that has been stolen off a PA 38, OEM is a 235-L2C but I have found a really good price on a low time 235-C1. Is this allowed by the FAA or do I have to go back in with the L2C?

Comments

• Usually the differences in the engines is stuff like "does it have a provision for a mechanical fuel pump", where is the intake, and simple things that are specific to certain types of applications. Most engines can be converted to different specifications easy enough and that is approved. I do not know the difference in the two types mentioned, so I can't speak as to what the conversion would be. Some models are not compatible at all, and involve deeper difference like compression ratio etc.
  • I think you'll need to check in the Lycoming manuals - if I remember, I'll take a look through my collection when I am at home.

For what it's worth - the O-235-L2C, looking on AirPower's website (www.airpowerinc.com) is used on:
    PA-38-112, Grumman AA1C, Cessna C152, etc - which are all listed as 118HP applications.

The O-235-C1 is listed as a 115HP engine, and is listed for use on the Champion 7ECA, PA-12 etc.

...so I did some more digging, here is a Lycoming document that lists the differences:
    http://www.lycoming.com/support/troubleshooting/resources/SSP204.pdf (there is also a more recent publication with updated information: http://www.lycoming.com/support/troubleshooting/resources/SSP110.pdf)

..and
    The O-235-C1 uses 6.75:1 compression ratio cylinders, while the O-235-L2C uses 8.50:1 - i.e. they are different specification engines, so I am not sure if it would be practical to convert one to another since one would speculate that the cylinders would be changed - the 8.5 ones might be wide deck, while the older might be narrow deck... Perhaps you may want to call one of the engine rebuilders, such as Western Skyways or Lycon, and ask if they can advise.

Hope this helps,

Andy
  • The type certificate is going to list the engine(s) allowable on any model of certified aircraft and it's going to be specific down to all the letters which follow the the "O-235". You can find the Type Certificate Data Sheet (TCDS) on the FAA web site. Google "PA38 TCDS" and you'll find multiple pointers to it. Installation of any engine other than what's listed in the TCDS will require an STC.