PA28-235 FEEDBACK REQUESTED

I have a Cherokee 180 but thinking would like to have more horsepower and useful load. I am looking around, the prices are all over the place on these airplanes.
Would like to hear from those who have owned these Piper 235 airplanes, get the good and bad on them ..........Mechanical issues, etc., what to look out for and the rest of it, just whatever you can tell me .................Thanks !!!

Comments

• I have owned my 1969 235 for four years. I absolutely LOVE it. It is a true 4 person plane. I rearely have ever had to leave fuel in the truck to haul friends. Several advantages...1) Huge useful load, eve with full tanks. I tend to keep the tip tanks low and just burn the mains when I am local (still 50 gal useable) which adds to the useful load 2? 84 gal useable leaving tons of reserve for long IFR flights. I can fly to south FL (4.5 hours) and still have alternate and IFR reservese. 3) decent speed. I tend to see 130 KTAS at 65% HP and get 15 gal/hr fuel burn (thus, one of the downsides - lots of fuel burn). Other then the high fuel burn the only other complaint I would have is it glides like a brick. Engine out leves little time and distance to find a field so I always try to fly higher than I normally would in my previous Archer. You will NOT be dissappointed in the 235.
  • Ok sounds like are satisfied with yours ??? You had an Archer before ? Wow!!! The fuel burn could be an issue ...... What power settings are you using for 15 gph fuel burn ? I would think you could pull off some power and do better on fuel burn ? Is it approved for auto gas ? How about annual inspections ? Fixed pitch or constant speed prop ? How high do you fly ?
  • The 15 gph is at 65% BHP. I have aggressively leaned and powered back to 55% BHP to burn 12-13 gph. I just overhauled the engine and Lycoming recommends best power setting is 100 degrees ROP. I typically file and fly between 5 and 10k feet. As far as I know there is no MoGas STC for the O-540 engine. Annual inspections run $1500 with no problems. I have a 3-blade Hartsell CS. It allows a lot of lexibility for power settings. I will typically run 23 squared for long cross countries and 22 squared for local work.
  • Thanks again ................ If you don't me asking, how much on that overhaul and was it expensive ($) ? I am sure those six cylinder engines are pricey. So the best you could do was around 12 gph and what speed did that give you ?
  • The MOH was 35k, all in. So, yeah, pricey. I roughly get 115, 130 and 140 KTAS at 55, 65, 75% BHP respectively at about 8,000 MSL
  • Although at 8,000 you have a hard time getting 75% BHP, especially in summer.
  • OK, I figured it was high price for the overhaul ............... the TBO is 2000 ? I am still considering this but keeping my 180 is also a high possibility, it needs a paint job but the rest of it is pretty decent ........... THANK YOU !!!
  • Or you can buy my Arrow and go faster on basically the same fuel burn and carry a few more #s too. I just bought a Turbo and my great regular Arrow PA28-200R is for sale.
  • flyguydon wrote:
    Or you can buy my Arrow and go faster on basically the same fuel burn and carry a few more #s too. I just bought a Turbo and my great regular Arrow PA28-200R is for sale.
    A few more pounds in the Arrow.....over a 235? I think not! My 235 has a 975lb PAYLOAD with 50 gallons on board. Course, you will go faster in the Arrow, probably burn less fuel too. I gotta say tho, very few (if any) SE airplanes beat the 235 for hauling a load :) !
  • I think he meant a few more pounds over the Archer!!
  • Flyguydon, tell me more about this Arrow you have for sale. If I remember correctly, you are in the JAX area? Thanks.
  • flyguydon wrote:
    Or you can buy my Arrow and go faster on basically the same fuel burn and carry a few more #s too. I just bought a Turbo and my great regular Arrow PA28-200R is for sale.

Still drinking the magic Kool Aid eh?!?!
  • Magic Kool Aid? And yes... TM... I meant #s over the 180...

bnolen, I have had the Arrow since 2005 and put over 1000 hours on it myself. Been great... Just wanted to go a bit higher and faster so bought a Turbo Arrow. I live near Jacksonville, FL and fly out of HEG. Just get me on flyguydon@bellsouth.net for more details, pics, or whatever!! Thanks. BTW- the avatar is the plane.
  • Flyguydon:

Go to the 236 Dakota. I've had mine for 7 years, average over 35 hours a month and it's a terrific airplane. I fly usually between 7 and 12K, burn just under 12 gals an hour and average 140 air speed. I've had little maintenance required, other than the fact that it's 32 years old. My wife and I fly all over the country with it. Great useful load (you already know that) and I have looked at every other aircraft close to her and even gone on to consider saratoga's, and others. What I'd pay in maintenance and repair costs, far outstrips my desire to go 20 or so knots faster. My annual has averaged about $3500 the past four years. It's a workhorse that flies great, and is very comfortable.
  • I've had my 235 for just over a year now. When I bought it the engine was 50 hours beyond TBO, so I have a fresh overhaul ($27k for mine). As they all had asid it is a great plane that hauls a ton and is relatively fast, yet is cheap to maintain. My only complaints are leg room in the back (cured somewhat if you go with the Dakota or I think the Pathfinder), and that I would like more speed (don't we all). Otherwise it has been fantastic. I've had a trip from Atlanta to Topeka, KS in 5 hours non-stop with 3 people and baggage. It's also very stable.

Hope that helps!!
    Rob Hubbell
  • I looked at a 1964 Pa28-235 this past week, the plane was really clean and all logs and paperwork in very good order. The aircraft appears to have been maintained very well, it appears to have been always in hangar. It has a Hartzell constant speed prop with about 1000 hours since last overhaul, I am a bit concerned that the AD list for this prop is long and repetitive, it is the HARTZELL HC-C2YK-1 series prop, two blades. I know there are 235 Cherokees out there with a constant speed prop and my question is centered around the cost of keeping the current constant speed prop or switching over to fixed pitch prop ............. Pro's and Con's if any of you can share this with me here ................ Thank you !!!