Pa28-235 restoration feedback needed

What are the ups and downs of this , assuming a complete engine overhaul of the o-540 and getting the plane caught back up to current AD status ?

Comments

• What are the ups and downs of this , assuming a complete engine overhaul of the o-540 and getting the plane caught back up to current AD status ?

More, much more, than you're gonna wanna spend. Do yourself a favor and get a nice flying 235, not sure if there are too many examples of those around though? Count on 30K min on the OH, ADs can run from the gamut from trivial (seat pulls, Bendix switch etc....) to major PIA. Try to find a fuel selector unit if that puppy fails....ask me how I know :)

Aside from that, they are good, honest planes. I put 94 hours on mine this past year, which is fairly remarkable as she was in for complete interior and paint this year, and that total, took almost 4 months!

The pluses .....she'll carry a lot of weight. They're about as honest flying a plane as you can ask for in IMC. Rock steady, simple to fly, and once you learn how she handles....well, they are docile pups. Insurance, in my case is dirt cheap. I pay 650 a year for 1mil 100k/seat 75k hull. The Lycoming O540 is about as bullet proof as they come.

The downside ( I can only think of one) is the fuel burn. They are thirsty girls, and in the real world, you can lean till your burning fumes :) ....she'll probably still be burning 13g at a minimum. On take offs and full power climbs, more like 16g. Oh, and they can be leaky too. If on a tiedown, invest In a good cover!

Good luck.....feel free to PM me if you have any questions...

Bill