Engine heater recommendations

I understand there are three different general kinds of electric engine heaters, those that clamp to cylinders, pads that glue to the bottom of the engine, and dip stick heaters. I am mostly interested in getting one of the electric pads that glue to the bottom of the engine, but there are many brands out there.

Does anyone have any specific brand names, and have anything good or bad to say about them?

Scott.

Comments

• Tanis, Reiff, and EZHeat make great preheating accessories. I've used all over the years with no complaints.

The only issue with an oil-sump only setup is that you need to keep in mind that simply heating the oil in the sump isn't sufficient. If the oil in the crankcase passages is still stiff and not moving, your engine is starved of oil until it can push the cold oil out. So you need to let the sump heater run longer than just enough to heat the sump. When you can feel some warmth on the top of the engine you're good to go.

The clamp-on bands and cylinder-head heaters are simply ways to apply more heat around the engine, heating the whole thing up faster.