Unable to switch fuel tanks while in flight

I thought I would share one of my recent flight experiences. I was flying home in my Piper Arrow II when it came time to switch fuel tanks and the fuel selector wouldn't move.

When taking off with full tanks (as I had this day) I fly the first half hour on one side before switching to the other. After the first half hour I switch tanks ever hour. On my Garmin 430 I have it set up so that it will remind to "check fuel" every half hour. After the first half hour I went to switch tanks and had no problem. When I went to switch tanks again (an hour later) the fuel selector wouldn't move to the other tank. Having flown pipers for years I had never had this problem. I looked at the fuel selector and discovered a very small phillips head screw had worked it's way out so that I couldn't move the selector to the other tank. The screw would not move and was sticking out about 1/4 inch. Remembering the fuel quality tester had a phillips head screw driver on it I tried using this to screw it in. Unfortunately, the phillips head on the fuel quality tester was to big for the screw and it still wouldn't turn.

I was on an IFR flight plan in VFR conditions. I informed center of my situation and chose to land at an airport about 15 minutes away. My destination airport was still an hour away and I decided this was not a good option even though I would have had enough fuel to make it on the one tank. Once on the ground I asked the FBO if they had a small screwdriver and luckily they did. It was very uneventful but I've learned to check this screw on the preflight and to carry a very small phillips head screwdriver in the plane. I'm not sure what anyone can learn from this but I thought I would just share one of my "flying adventures."

Comments

• And luckily the outcome was positive. Most of us, including myself, have older airplanes. We must be diligent about maintenance and pre-flight checks. Thanks so much for sharing your story.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi James,
    I've been thinking about this more and more. Obviously this caused stress and anxiety for you or you wouldn't have added it to your preflight checklist and felt the need to carry a screwdriver. However, you can solve this problem permanently. Just put a drop of Locktight on the screwthreads; problem solved. This will remove your stress.

Have a great weekend.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I think this qualifies as a freak incident. On one aerobatic flight, the control lock I stowed in the side pocket somehow flew off and landed under the panel in between control cables. I had to do a no elevator landing... lol... and for the life of me, I couldn’t figure it out after landing. Then I decided to secure the plane and go have a drink... the control lock was missing! The rest was history!! And I am not updating my checklist for this! Lol