FAA Issues SAIB on Propeller Maintenance

See the attached for a Special Airworthiness Information Bulletin on propeller maintenance.

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• Owner of Aerohoff Inspection Services, Inc offering Nondestructive Testing. We are a mobile FAA NDT Repair Station based in Southern California but travel world-wide to offer our inspections. We offer certified Liquid Dye Penetrant inspections (PT). Often Penetrant Inspection is not performed correctly, and although a relatively old technology, any one step performed wrong in the inspection can alter the results negatively. Areas that can lead to incorrect indications are wrong sensitivity of Penetrant materials, dwell time, excessive developer application, temperature, surface prep, cleanliness, etc. PT is performed by maintenance often, although when performing PT inspection per an AD or “Return to Service” document, it should only be performed by a certified Level 2 Inspector (ASNT—SNT-TC-1A, NAS410, etc). I often hear from uncertified maintenance personnel performing PT inspections, of which they always underestimate PT inspection, and say, “well it’s only Penetrant Inspection and just slop that fluorescent stuff on there”, and my response is always, “ well it’s just a crack”.
    Jim Hofer
    Aerohoff Inspection Services
    www.aerohoff.com
    760-567-4123