Advice on Direct Route over Rockies

2»

Comments

• edited June 2020

You didn’t indicate where in Ohio you are departing from though you did mention that you are going to KHND. So, I assumed KCLE as a departure point and I think you can go fairly direct with a bit of a dog leg over Monarch Pass. Via 1V6-KANK- HBO (VOR)-MTJ (VOR) at 1200 feet you will clear everything by 1,000 ft. Or you can go a bit further south 4V1-CO92-HBU-MTJ you would have to clear North Pass at 10,100ft. The difference between the 2 (total trip KCLE – KHND) 1595 miles vs 1633 miles. The great thing about this route is with a little course adjustment after Montrose you can fly over the Grand Canyon on your way to KHND.

I have done this in a C-172 and a C-172RG and it’s very doable. Turbulence does pick up as you get later in the day though I’ve found the forecasts are fairly accurate in that regard. It can get bumpy but even in the C-172 It never got above moderate when forecast as such. A big consideration is building thunder clouds. You can see them building and adjust your course and plans accordingly. When flying East to West over the mountains keep in mind the sun will set earlier in relation to the mountains you are flying toward and flying directly into the sun poses its own sets of issues.

I also assume, and recommend, flight following if you are VFR. I bit of advice; look up the frequencies for ATC along the route as it is likely you will lose radio contact and radar contact along the way and it is way easer to have a good idea of an ATC frequency beforehand rather than looking at your charts trying to figure one out while in the air.

Keep in mind that taking off after rest and fuel stops at altitude will require quite a bit more runway so pick your stops with that in mind. I highly recommend you do the math.

I love these sorts of cross country flights you get an entirely different appreciation for the size and varriation the country has. Good Luck and a Safe Flight.

Lance 2
    N2138F

• You didn’t indicate where in Ohio you are departing from though you did mention that you are going to KHND. So, I assumed KCLE as a departure point and I think you can go fairly direct with a bit of a dog leg over Monarch Pass. Via 1V6-KANK- HBO (VOR)-MTJ (VOR) at 1200 feet you will clear everything by 1,000 ft. Or you can go a bit further south 4V1-CO92-HBU-MTJ you would have to clear North Pass at 10,100ft. The difference between the 2 (total trip KCLE – KHND) 1595 miles vs 1633 miles. The great thing about this route is with a little course adjustment after Montrose you can fly over the Grand Canyon on your way to KHND.

I have done this in a C-172 and a C-172RG and it’s very doable. Turbulence does pick up as you get later in the day though I’ve found the forecasts are fairly accurate in that regard. It can get bumpy but even in the C-172 It never got above moderate when forecast as such. A big consideration is building thunder clouds. You can see them building and adjust your course and plans accordingly. When flying East to West over the mountains keep in mind the sun will set earlier in relation to the mountains you are flying toward and flying directly into the sun poses its own sets of issues.

I also assume, and recommend, flight following if you are VFR. I bit of advice; look up the frequencies for ATC along the route as it is likely you will lose radio contact and radar contact along the way and it is way easer to have a good idea of an ATC frequency beforehand rather than looking at your charts trying to figure one out while in the air.

Keep in mind that taking off after rest and fuel stops at altitude will require quite a bit more runway so pick your stops with that in mind. I highly recommend you do the math.

I love these sorts of cross country flights you get an entirely different appreciation for the size and varriation the country has. Good Luck and a Safe Flight.

Lance 2
    N2138F

• Turbulence and weather are big factors. I flew my 140 from Georgia to Idaho. Took the southern route and passed between Albuquerque and Santa Fe and up to Page, AZ. Beautiful area.
    So, one vote for southern route. If I can do it, you can. BTW, Plainview, TX was WINDY.