Aircraft logbook missing

I came across a really nice 1977 Archer for sale with under 800 hours total time airframe and engine. All original, excellent condition. Problem is first logbook is missing covering from 1977-1990. From 1990 all logs complete. No FAA or NTSB records showing any damage history. Would this missing log have much effect on resale value? Would you still purchase this aircraft? Thanks

Comments

• Sure, you can purchase the plane. No reason not to however, the purchase price should be reduced 10 to 25 percent because of the missing log. Also, when you get it, be prepared to spent research time to see what SB and AD's have been installed and which have to. There might be a surprise there and this really should be done during the pre-purchase inspection. Good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Agree with Scott. I have been told by an aircraft broker that incomplete logs decrease value by about 20%.

• I bought an airplane with a missing log book. Its no big deal as long as there has been a few annuals since the logbook was lost.
    It will hurt the resale value a bit, but o well, try to make up for it in the purchase price.