Serial number dillema

So as I shop for fasteners to marry this replacement wing to my crippled Archer, I've run into a bit of a quandary. The Piper parts book says to use one list of bolts and washers for the serial number associated with the wing, and another list of bolts, washers, nuts for the serial number associated with the airplane. What to do? Order the bolts for the wing? or order the bolts for the plane? 1982 Archer PA28-181 airplane, 1977 Archer PA28-181 wing.

Comments

• Hmmm. So the real question is whether the wing serial number is compatible with the fuselage serial number. Have you consulted with Piper?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• This is interesting.? MY IPC does not list wing serial numbers, only aircraft serial numbers.......According to my book, the wing bolts and associated hardware are the same for models 1976-1994.

• Just heard back from Piper. Just FYI, here's the response:

For the forward spar attach nut/bolt combination (IPC Figure 2, Item 30), either the original MS21045-4 or revised MS21042-4 nuts would be acceptable for installation. The change to the reduced height MS21042 nut(s) was made for inspection provisions on installation (easier to inspect for thread protrusion) and does not affect the strength or function of the joint.

For the aft spar attach nut/bolt combination (IPC Figure 2, Item 31), the bolt size was increased to match the PA-32 series aircraft after the 1979 model year to standardize production sizing. For this installation, I’d recommend the following:
    -Inspect the aft spar attach fitting lug (P/N 66762-000) on the replacement wing to verify the existing hole size is 0.3745/0.3765 inches diameter. If the wing fitting is within tolerance, match ream the fuselage side fitting (P/N 62448-002) and install the updated NAS464P6LA6 bolt, MS21042-6 nut, and AN960-616 washers per Figure 57-2 (Chapter 57-40-00) of the PA-28-181 Airplane Maintenance Manual.

-If the P/N 66762-000 Aft Wing Attach Fitting measures beyond 0.3765 inches diameter, obtain and install Piper Kit 767-383 (P/N 88365-002).

For either installation on the aft spar attach fittings, Just let me know what you need and I can provide an NTO on Piper Letterhead stating that there is No Technical Objection to the final configuration as it matches a currently approved configuration for the PA-28-181 (just not your serial number range).

Sounds simple enough, eh?

• I'm glad you got a thorough response :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!