New to the Piper Owner Society, issue with Spinner PA28-180

Hi, Happy to join this discussion group. I own a 1969 Cherokee 180 and a recently rebuilt Super Cub. Looking forward to learning for those in this group!
My initial problem is that my spinner on the Cherokee exploded at 7500 feet over Arkansas last weekend. I was on with ATC so they got involved too. There was a bit of a "pucker factor"! Anyway, I am having problems finding a replacement, either new or used. The part number is 65805-00 for the 180 model D. I called TCB and they are currently in an FAA audit for some reason and won't be shipping anything until that is complete in about 12-16 weeks the people told me! Seems all others resell their product. Cant find anything new or used from others I called either.
Anyone have a similar experience? Any suggestions on finding one? Is it legal to fly without the spinner?
Thanks for any input, and hope I can contribute something in the future!

Comments

• Note 11 in the TCDS says the PA28-180 with serial numbers 28-1 thru 28-5859 can be flown without the spinner dome. SO hard to understand why Piper Aircraft prices that spinner over $4K!!

• Hey Mark,
    Is this something that can be purchased from other sources, new or used? Like Wentworth, etc?

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• It is great to know about the status of flying with the spinner off! Clears things up with the FAA since the guy investigating knows I did it - said it was not a good idea. At least I know it was legal. :)
    Now if only I can find a spinner somewhere - new or used. I really don't want to fly with if gone, even if legal.

• Have you tried the boneyards like Wentworth?

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Yeah. My mechanic and I are trying everywhere we can think of. Quite a disruption whatever caused TCB to go through the FAA audit and force them to stop shipping. I wonder why.

• I have the Piper spinner and bulkheads that came off my Arrow IV. Don't know if it would work on a 180 though...

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Knots 2U sells composite spinners and bulkheads that fit your aircraft.

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Thanks Harley.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Harley, I checked out the spinner model numbers and find that this number 65805-00 is used on the PA28-180, including the Archer and on the PA28-181 Archer II.
    Also, the spinner sold by Knot-2-U is made by TCB Composites and they dont have any is stock. Thanks for your help.
    Greg

• edited January 10

Did you find a spinner? I found a composite spinner.

I have a 68 180D

Aero Tech Aviation Design LLC

734-433-0400