Question about this cover (pic)

edited August 2020 in General Discussion

Hello all. I am trying to find the plastic cover over on top of the glare shield (pics attached)

. I don't know what it is called. Just don't want to drop something in that hole. Figured this is the best place to ask. Appreciate your help. Thank you

Comments

• I believe that is an avionics vent hole.
  • It may have looked something like this.
  • edited August 2020

The hole was put in place by the factory to relieve heat from the avionics/radio stack. Don't leave the hole open. If any liquid spills into it or anything conductive like small screws, paperclips, etc. fall into your radios, you'll have a bad day.

The vent/cover for the hole aptly named Radio Cooling Cover. Here's a link (below) if you wish to purchase a new one. If I recall correctly, it installs with the vent facing forward toward the windshield.
    https://www.knots2u.net/cover-radio-cooling-piper-79404-00-79404-000/

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks Griff!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you so much Griff. Looking at the screw pattern, looks like on my arrow the screws are a little offset. On the pics on knots2u. Screw holes are straight. I guess I can drill new holes on the cover to secure it properly.

Yes certainly afraid of having a bad day. Hence figured I ask here for help. Ordered the part. I guess I will cover it with tape till I receive the part in mail.

Thank you John / Scott