Evacuation or Stay put!

Ok, relatively new arrow owner who lives in Florida (hurricane prone state) I have a hurricane plan for my house, my boat and for my family but having a problem with hurricane plan for the plane. Currently VFR pilot, working on IFR rating, but that means if we move the plane have to do it very early before any weather approaches. That creates numerous issues. Move it to a safe haven with the way the forecast changes, just as much a crap shoot to pick the correct place. Or add tie down ropes to secure it and hope for the best. Currently no hangar, outside tie down. Still looking for affordable hanger but that is not looking good, thats another discussion though. Any others have thoughts on securing plane for hurricane?

Andy Sikora
1972 PA28R-200
X51
Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

Comments

• Move it move it! Don't forget, at about 60 kts your plane is going to want to fly. Anything that hits your aluminum plane will dent or bend it. It's very vulnerable. Move it.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Looks like I might be out of the cone for now. But this has brought about a subject I have to find a safe haven for my baby!

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51

• Move it or find a bunker!

How do the flight schools in your area protect their fleets when a tropical storm is headed their way?

• for tropical storms we don't really do anything. make sure lose object are secure. Doesn't get serious till a level 2 hurricane, actually. I think I will start looking for a temp hangar in a central Florida airport to move it to, if I can find someplace with room. This storm has definitely got me working to get a plan in place!

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51

• Good idea! How would someone evacuate an aircraft from South Florida? Recollection is many of the big storms are nearly as broad as the distance from Lauderdale to Naples, and might be following a Northerly, Westerly, or Easterly track. Would you have to go all the way up to Alabama or Mississippi?

Up here in New England, the big storms are rare, and when we do get them they're almost always on a Northerly track. First warning usually is an email from the big area flight school (about 40 planes), offering free rentals so long as you travel at least 250 NM West, and bring it back no sooner than two days. Of course, by the time I respond, he's got exactly 1 Cessna 150 left in the stable!

• Seneca, That is my issue. Figuring out where to fly. And you need time to secure your belongings if you are not dropping the plane and coming back. That requires time, which you don't have with a storm...With boats, many people pay a fee to inside storage rack companies to have a place for them in a storm. So you move the boat there before the storm. I am going to research the same kind of idea for the plane. I know of a few airports in central Florida that have hangar space available. So will they reserve me something for a storm, no idea. But the further inland you can get the plane the safer it will be. It would be hard to get everything secured and get out with the plane before the weather starts deteriorating. I am supposed to be a snowbird already and would be gone till after hurricane season. But this covid has messed up my plans this year. Hoping next summer we have a plan for me to be up in New England for the season.

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51