Key West Trip

I plan on flying my Cherokee 6 to Key West from the Mississippi Gulf Coast during Thanksgiving for a wedding. Any suggestions are recommendations would be appreciated. Also, is there anything I need to know about the FBO in Key West. Thanks...

Comments

• We've been there about a dozen times, usually during the Winter. My recollections

• FBO is a Signature, so the service, and the cookies, are both excellent.
    • FBO is a Signature, so you may want to plan another fuel stop. It's about $7/gallon.
    • KEYW is about the busiest Class D around, and you'll see lots of A320s and B737s making short field landings. Pretty impressive what the pros can do.
    • We've only made 1-2 visual approaches. During the Winter a ceiling of 500-700 is pretty common.

Overall, highly recommend the trip.

Bob

• Matches my observations perfectly. My wife and I love Key West!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Stop for fuel on the way in, so you are pretty well topped off. Recommend stopping at Marco Island (MKY) or Everglades City (x01) for lower fuel prices. Then just enjoy your stay in Key West.

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• I fly from Tampa area to Key West occasionally in my Cherokee. I follow the coast and cross Florida bay around Naples. You will be outside of glide distance to land so I will bring some life jackets for what it’s worth. I like to cruise 9-10k to give me a little more time to trouble shoot. I have always gotten flight following or filed IFR. The military airspace covers everything to your East so it’s nice letting ATC tell you where to go. There is a weather balloon about 20 miles East that goes up often 10k feet so be aware of that and the cable that holds it. ATC May remind you but if you haven’t heard of it may sound strange.
  • Consider planning dinner at Latitudes on Sunset Key. My favorite go to for special occasions. Free boat shuttle from Key West. Shoot for a sunset reservation if you can get it.

https://www.sunsetkeycottages.com/key-west-restaurants/latitudes/

Also, be aware that there is no free access to your aircraft after the FBO closes.

• Take your own beer and booze with you. Local prices are high.