PA28R-200 Real world Airspeed

I recently purchased a 1969 Arrow 200. It will probably be a month or more before I can fly it as it’s out of annual and will take a bit to get back in the air.

I have been doing some research and there seems to be some varying reports of cruise speeds. Can anyone give me some real world cruise performance, Actual air speed and actual fuel usage would be great! Thanks.

Comments

• I always flew mine around 10,000ft at 8gph and got a TAS around 123kts. Looking back, I should have had an actual engine monitor to make sure that I was not leaning certain cylinders out too much; but it worked for me for 3 years with no engine surprises through all of the annuals. Congrats on your new plane!! I had a '69 as well. Loved that thing.

Ben S.

IFR Commercial Pilot

1999 Saratoga II TC (KCFO)

Denver, CO

• Congratulations on your Arrow purchase! I have a 1976 Arrow II that I have owned for 8 years. I typically fly at 8000/9000 feet, 23 squared, with at solid 135 TAS and 9.5-10 gph. I flight plan 10 gph, which I have found to be perfect. Have fun getting to know your new Arrow!

• To be more specific: 135 kts TAS. (Sorry for the omission!)

• edited October 2020

I have owned my '69 Arrow 200 for just about 17 years and at the altitudes I fly (always over 8k since my home base is at 7k). TAS is always a couple or three knots over 140. That is with the calculation being done by the G5s and GNS 530, both corrected for temperature, DA, etc. The fuel burn at 9k is about 8.7 to 8.8 gph (EDM 830 fuel flow measurement) for the TAS above. Engine rpm = 2400 and MAP 23" (full throttle). BUT I am always solo and the plane is probably 800 lbs under gross. The weight and balance graph shows an aft loading which is logical given I weigh 130 and I am solo with the normal stuff to carry in the baggage area thus biasing the CG rearward.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Thanks Jim!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Excellent, thank you for the feedback!