Pipers magazine correction

edited October 2020 in General Discussion

Today I received the Nov 2020 issue of "Pipers" magazine and notice an error in attribution. In the "Members Activity Q&A" someone wrote about a shaking fuel pressure needle in a 1975 Warrior. The author was listed as me (Jim Torley). Not I! I have a 1969 Arrow 200, not a Warrior.

Jim Torley
CFI-A/I/G
1969 Arrow 200
Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

Comments

• Hi Jim,
    Thank you for letting us know! I'm not entirely sure how we managed to attribute the question to you instead of the member who posted it (PDLoftis), but I sincerely apologize for the error.
    Thank you again for the correction and for being such an active contributor to this forum!
    Katie

Katie Holliday-Greenley
    PIPERS magazine editor
    editor@piperowner.org

• :) Thanks to the forum I have learned a lot and will certainly continue to support the organization as best I can. Hopefully 2021 will allow us to "face-to-face" in OSH!!

Jim

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• So Jim, thanks to the Piper Owner Society you don't have a shaky fuel pressure problem to debug! You're welcome, lol.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• edited October 2020

Actually my fuel pressure needle does "flutter" but I know the reason. It is EITHER "air in the line or no air in the line". Seems like there are a variety of opinions on this! Interestingly if one looks very carefully at the inside of the gauge (removed from the panel, of course) one can see a very tiny wire "whisker" that is tensioned against the needle shaft. It appears to be a method to add friction to the needle movement thus damping out the engine driven mechanical fuel pump pulses. I opened the line from the fuel "spider manifold" at my gauge, momentarily activated the electric boost pump to purge the line of air and then, of course, tightened the gauge connection again. Voila!! No fluttering...for a few days until air crept back into the line. So I'm in the camp that says the problem is "air in the line"!!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Thanks for the update, Jim.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!