Wild Hair...

I learned to fly and was certificated as a Private Pilot back in 1983. After several years life happened as it so often does and I didn't fly for about 35 years. In December 2017 I got the Itch to try flying again and after about 3 hours the Flight Review was behind me, I was current again and checked out to fly the local school's piper 140's. As things happen I got frustrated with flying beat-up, crappy school birds, and scheduling problems so when I stumbled upon an archer I couldn't live without I eliminated all that frustration!

Here's where the wild hair comes in. I'm toying with the idea of getting my Commercial Pilot Certificate! I have met almost all of the logbook requirements with almost 300 hrs PIC, 70+ hrs Cross country (longest from KMCC to KTIK and back), 42 hrs Complex SEL, and 7.5 hrs instrument/hood (10 min required)

My goal is to become a better pilot, not necessarily fly professionally. I'm thinking the training to get to the Commercial level will accomplish this goal. I know any training I get will help make me more competent but my thinking is by following a structured syllabus to the final goal would be the best, most complete approach.

I'm almost 66 years old and my question for you guys that have your Commercial ticket or higher is, what do you think of my idea, and is this something an old fart can accomplish?

Is the second class medical much more involved than a third class or is it just required more often to remain valid?

How rigorous is the verbal and check ride, assuming I can pass the medical?

Comments

• If you don't intend to actually charge for your services (carrying passengers or cargo for hire) then the challenge of a commercial certificate should be the end goal and, therefore, forget about the 2nd class medical. It has been 48 years since I got my commercial and it was initially strictly for the challenge. I did end up "moonlighting" for a charter outfit for a brief time and, therefore, actually needed that rating and 2nd class medical. In those days the commercial flight test was basically just a more rigorous and more precise PP flight check. I did it in my C-150. I suggest reading the most recent Practical Flight Test Standards documents on the FAA web site since the rules seem to change daily. Those documents will give you an idea of what to expect for the verbal and flight check.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Thank you for the information, Jim, I will look up the Practical Flight Test Standards.

Do you mean I do not have to have a 2nd class med before taking the flight check?

• Hi Ray,
    I got my Commercial at 66. It has indeed made me a much better pilot and I recommend it for everyone. The written was easy and so was the oral. The checkride was more complex, but I got my Commercial Multi, not single. Do it and good luck!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Ray, Correct...unless something has changed recently that's why the regs are the final authority!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Ray, for example I have a commercial license and Basic Med. I cannot fly for compensation or hire BUT I can do flight instruction for pay as the FAA says: "There’s a lot of confusion that flight instructing requires a Second Class, but flight instructing is not commercial flying. FAA confirms you can be paid as a flight instructor while under Basic Med. And you are the active PIC whenever you’re flight instructing anyway." Another thing to keep in mind as you join those of us who are "seniors"!!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200

• Scott, That does sound encouraging!
    Jim, That would be fine with me as I said my interest is in refining my skills.
    Thank you both.