Where do you like to travel with your airplane?

Hi everyone,
We're compiling a list of popular places to travel with your airplane. If you have places to recommend, please reply below. We'll be publishing the list soon since Spring is coming!

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• edited February 2021

Places that I've been to that I have truly enjoyed are: Mackinac Island, Michigan. Nassau, Bahamas. Key West, Florida. Albuquerque, New Mexico.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Traverse City MI, Bar Harbor ME, Green Bay WI, Rapid City SD (Mt Rushmore), Burlington IA, and First Flight Airport in Kitty Hawk NC (hallowed ground).

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Fryeburg ME, Branson MO, Baton Rouge LA, Phoenix AZ, Spearfish SD, Savannah GA, Whitefish MT

• Montreal, Canada; Arlington, Washington; San Diego

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• Thanks everyone! Traverse City, MI is great! I've also been to Rapid City (awesome), Greenbay alot. What's in Burlingon, IA?? I have to look into the other places listed. Much thanks!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott; a few years back, my wife and I stopped in Burlington IA (BRL) while we waited for weather to clear in Chicago. We took the courtesy car into town, and had a great lunch. Everywhere we went from the FBO to the restaurants, we were met with warm hospitality. Burlington is a river town and we're also into boats, so we went down to the water, walked the docks, and talked to the boaters. We had such a nice experience that we're going back.

Honorable mention goes to Michigan City, IN (MGC). Primarily because they always have great fuel prices. We travel around the South end of Lake Michigan often and frequently stop for fuel at MGC. They have a very active skydive center, so be aware when entering the airspace. In Northern IL, DKB currently has the lowest price fuel.

I typically look up fuel prices on Skyvector, but maybe we should open up "Best fuel prices" on another thread? :)

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Thanks Griff! I think we have a best fuel prices thread somewhere, I'll see if I can find it :) Stay warm and healthy.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott!

I remember that thread also. We determined that you always have some of the best fuel prices at BUU.

-11 F here this morning, so I won't be flying. You (and everyone else) stay safe and warm too.

Now back to favorite destinations. Jump in ladies and gents!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Easton Maryland for breakfast when I lived north of Baltimore (30 years). Also in that area, Bay Bridge airport for a short walk to fantastic seafood. Lancaster PA for great lunches. I’m with Griff on Kitty Hawk, a must see. St. Simons Island, Brunswick Georgia and St. Augustine Florida on your way to Kissimmee for a stop at Disney! Oh, and a favorite was Lurray Caverns nestled in the Appalachians. They would pick you up from the airport, take you to the caverns, and bring you back, no charge for transportation. Augusta Georgia was also a favorite. So much to see up and down the east coast.

• Kitty Hawk! Of course, I have a new must-see for this year. Thanks Mike!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• For anyone involved in aviation, Kitty Hawk is a must see. It was awesome and humbling all at the same time. Truly hallowed ground for aviators.
    The grounds are beautiful and the history of the Wright brothers is all on display, including many original artifacts such as engine blocks (they made their own). Tour everything you can including the museum, the grounds, and the tiny buildings/shacks they lived and worked in (today we'd call them hangars). The track with marker stones depicting the distances of their first few flights is humbling.

I've attached a pic of my Warrior paying homage to the Wright brothers at First Flight airport. The facility had a good crowd of people, but we had the ramp to ourselves. The approach takes you along the outer banks, which are beautiful.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Is that the Wright Flyer in the background? (thanks for the pic )

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• It's the Wright Flyer's great, great, great grandson. :)

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• That trip and pic was circa 2015, so it was prior to the new paint job.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area