Winch PA28-180 via Tail Tie Down?

Any thoughts on winching a -180 into the hangar via the tail tie down attach point?
Thank you.

Comments

• I think lots of owners do this. In fact, in my rental hangar, there's a winch post from when someone else was in my hangar. Let's see what other folks say!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Scott
    Yes, been doing a lot of research on this subject.
    This is a club airplane, lots of folks.
    Concerned about "shear loading."

• I would recommend no unless the winch is manual. The reason is sooner or later it is going to get stuck on and someone is going to crunch a control surface. Another consideration:
    If there is just rolling resistance than the line tension is reasonable. However,
    If someone left the parking brake on or a wheel chock then the winch line could tension to max and even a small ATV winch is 500lbs+.

Why not a Powertow EZ40? runs well on Avgas, easy to maneuver, good controls, not too expensive and still has value on the field used. You might find a used one local too.

https://www.powertow.com/40-EZ-Aircraft-Tug_p_14.html

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• edited February 2021
    I can tell you that in the 36 years I have flown my 1966 Cherokee 180, I had two rental hangars with winches and used them often. In both cases, there was enough of a slope to make pushing the airplane difficult for me. Never had an issue or damage from doing this. Now, in a hanger of my own with no winch, I use an awesome little tug powered by a Black and Decker hand drill! Works like a charm and saves my back!

Here is a link that does not appear to work through the Piper Site. I cannot even copy and paste. Just type it into your browser and it will take you to the correct page.

https://www.minimaxtugs.com/Piper-wheel-pants-aircraft-tug-p/012piper(wp).htm

Regards,

Mike