Altimatic ii assitance wanted

Hello all,

I am flying a Saratoga occasionaly that has an Altimatic ii auto pilot with Aspen 1000 and Garmin 530w GPS.

Can anyone guide me to a source of operational guidance for the Altimatic?

I am not having any luck finding anything on line for it.

I am trying to identify which settings all three units need to be on for flying a plan and more importantly flying an approach.

TIA

Comments

• Hi Todd,

I don't know of a free source, but you can purchase an operator's manual here:

Piper Altimatic II Operator's Manual (753-638) — Essco Aircraft

Bob

• A Toga with an Altimatic II? Seriously? You sure ‘bout that?

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Not sure if this is for the equipment you have, but it may help:

• Wow, that's a relic. (sorry)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• My apologies. I was mis informed. After confirming this is an Altimatic 3c.

• I know this isn't what you asked for but I thought I'd send them in case you needed them. I'll keep looking...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Todd, I fly a Lance, PA-32R-300, N516AB, with a GNS 530W, Altimatic 3C and a G5 as the HSI. I have wondered the same as you regarding the seemingly myriad settings of the Nav Coupler, GPS and HSI. This is what I have found. Basically disregard the NAV, OMNI or BC LOC settings on the Nav coupler. Unless you are flying back course approaches, then you are on your own. The LOC NORM setting on the nav coupler seems to work fine for tracking VOR's either inboud or outboud. But for more typical flying, try these settings. The take away is for flying published holds (and for turn anticipation), GPSS must be engaged. Maybe your experience will be different but I suspect not. The bold lettering is the CDI setting on the 530. This is by no means a manual, but a start. Try it all, then try again in VFR. My reading of manuals and even the POH has been frustrating.

• Todd, something else comes to mind. If you have all four rocker switches engaged, you would expect altitude hold. However on an LPV or ILS approach, according to my POH, if you are below the glide slope for 20 seconds or more, and have all four rocker switches engaged, then the glide slope coupler will engage. Even though you have "altitude hold" engaged, the autopilot will then couple to the glide slope and descend on the glide path. I did not mention that on my diagram. But you must have the Nav Coupler on LOC NORM. You should see the "Glide Slope Coupler Engaged" light illuminate, assuming you have such a light. If GPSS must be on or off for the "Glide Slope Coupler" to engage, I do not know. I always have GPSS off by that point of an approach.

• And yes, Scott, the setup is a relic. But like this pilot who is of similar vintage, it still works (perfectly) if you know what buttons to push and knobs to turn.....gotta love old man humor!

• I have 30+ years with that autopilot and 15 years with a 530. I got to be a master at it, too. :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Originally you asked for operational guidance, but as most of us are aware, this autopilot and it's documentation predates any GPS sources. It's been explained to me that a great deal depends on the GPS installer setting it up correctly. Essentially the Altimatic IIIC is the Century III. I've attached 2 manuals that may help. I have a 430W and the Altimatic IIIC (no aspen, but a G5 attitude indicator) and I use the LOC/NORM position while enroute and for approaches including LPV and ILS. The autopilot will automatically sequence through the flight plan fixes. As might have been said, the LOC/NORM position is the only position that will allow the autopilot to track the glide path.