New Air Vents

I don't know if anyone else on here received the OBVIOUS Innovations advertisement for their new Cherokee air vents. The are pricey, but with the 20% discount and free shipping I decided to give them a try since a couple of mine were getting ragged. Installed today. I have a couple of my old ones that are not broken and are free to anyone who needs them, just pay shipping.

Ben

Comments

• Hi Ben,

I just received four from them and I'm installing now. I will be doing a product review on them shortly. :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Ben, I would like to get your old vents how can I pay for the shipping?

Walter

• Walter, I sent you a message. Check your inbox.

Ben

• Am not sure I like the OBVIOUS design. Do agree that nylon is the better way to go versus OE plastic.

Have grown accustomed to the OE design with a relief hole as it does a great job at mixing air in the entire location and not simply blasting it in one direction.

Am sure that drilling a relief hole in the OBVIOUS deflector will get it back to OE functionality, but the question then turns into: is it still FAA-PMA after the modification? 🤐

• I have a set on my desk and will be installing them and publishing a review shortly! Stay tuned.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The new ones like this k very nice but $$. May be worth it with a 20% discount and free shipping though. Where did you find or what is the discount code?

• Brian,

Discount code is 9BXGNA7. You can find it on the first photo I posted, below the QR code on the right of the postcard.

Ben

• Not overly pricey with the discount but many places don't charge anywhere near that much for the 8130.

DJ

• I'm hoping to have the new airvents installed today. Stay tuned.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited June 2023

Hi everyone,

They just arrived and here is a pic of the new and old. Also, I've negotiated a 15% discount for all Piper Owners Society members. Here's the code to use: 3584IRA . Their URL is www.obvious-innovations.com. If you have questions, contact Bodhe Scheerer and they are located in Minneapolis, MN. I installed them today and they are very good.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, can you give us a PIREP once you've flown with them a bit? I'm curious as to whether there's a change in noise level (i.e. air going through a smaller gap) and whether you notice a difference with the single exhaust vs having a relief hole as was noted earlier.

Thanks!

Richard

• I’d like to know what is so special about them over the OE or K2U replacement options. I’m all about upgrades, but not unless there is a gain in function.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

1. I'll be flying with them tomorrow so I'll report on them.
    2. They are a patent-pending blend of nylon in addition to being FAA-PMA approved. They are flexible and won't crack as the years go by. They are also smaller and less likely to be kicked and broken.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• The large knurling is a great idea! Nice upgrade!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• So, I just installed these vents and have flown them for a few hours now. The company gave me a military discount (20%) and free shipping, so I thought what the heck. My OEM vents were fine, but I DID keep hitting my leg on the pilot's vent, so I thought I'd give these a shot.

Super easy install, mostly because the screw holes are slotted and not pinpoint, so that was nice.

The nylon was a plus. Much more flexible to the slight curves in the side sills and they seem to seal up nicer to the actual vent.

The finger indents are in fact nice, and because the seal is tighter, these actually make adjustment easier and are practical.

The hole is smaller than OEM, so the air feels like it's really steaming out. Very noticeable, but again, the hole is smaller, so it's kind of a wash.

I noticed no noise difference due to the smaller port, and no degradation due to the absence of the relief hole at the bottom of the OEM vents.

These are definitely low profile, and I immediately noticed no more banging the vent with my leg, so if that's important to you, these definitely answer the mail.

My assessment, for what it's worth: If you have broken or cracked vents, these are a nice replacement and I do like the nylon over OEM plastic. If you're vents are in good shape and you're not hitting your leg or your passengers aren't constantly kicking them, there's other things I'd spend $214.00 on. The mil discount is the same as the coupon that many people received, so that helps, but IMHO still not worth the change unless any of the above situations affect you. Hope that helps.

vr

Dante

• vr: I installed mine and I like them, too, for the same reasons. We have a 15% Piper Owners Society discount, too!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Wow - these are great. The originals were busted or non-existent in our plane. We had no idea what we were missing. They made a big difference in the summer directing the air just right. Now curious to see if they deflect some cold in the winter. Thanks for sharing the discount codes!

• edited October 2023

Competition in the market place is making this an interesting decision.

New invention with nylon housing (vent and base) for 1 AMU. Discount when purchasing 4 sets will run 3 AMU (B3GO).

Known discount codes brings down the cost by another 0.15 - 0.2 AMU. This helps, but...

Another plastic vent (only) will run ~0.12 AMU:

https://planeparts.com/cgi-bin/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=Cups32&cart_id=8958797_19591

Or, scroll down a bit for a complete set of 4 (vent plus base) for ~1.2 AMU.

This really is a tough one as the economics are notably tilted to OE plastic design.