Ipad panel mounts

I'm looking for a recomendation for a panel mount, on the right side for a Ipad/tablet.

Richard

Comments

• Can you give us a pic? Are you cutting a hole, using Velcro or drilling and mounting a Ram ball?

Also need to know what iPad you are buying/using. I have lots of options to suggest, but applications dictate what will or won’t work.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• edited May 2023

I'm talking about anything from a ipad mini to a 9" ipad.

Richard

• I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Recently saw a video where somebody touted flyboys<dot>com cases for fruit products and mounts for aircraft. Took a look at the site and seems like a good idea as the case locks with the mount while easily detachable. Only know what I saw on the tube site and the vendor's web site, so take this for what is worth.

To Unit74's question though, if not already part of the plan, might consider doing mock-ups to make sure the actual device (plus holder / case) will work in the space. As a data point, I have a tablet mount on the panel and wanted to upgrade to the next bigger size. After playing around with scale cutouts, realized that I was limited to the current tablet size. Going to the next size up will force a lot of rework of instruments, so I decided to live with what I have.

• I have a Guardian Mini 6 on the panel, which is an integral part of the panel itself. It’s powered and also has a fan. Previously, I had a Ram mount, semi flush mounted on a doubler plate.

On the yoke I am using the Pivot case and mount. They are far superior to the Ram gear. But, you pay for it. Stevokanevo had a discount code on them last check. I think it was 10%. Check his YouTube.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• The challenge with ipad's is they easily overheat with direct exposure to sun. I move mine around by hand + thigh strap to avoid this. Perhaps someday a premium sunlight readable screen with active cooling? I have a keyboard case now and it is perfect for traveling but not so good for the cockpit. I could get a dedicated iPad for flying but I have enough electronics to care and feed as it is ;)

I think most of the overheat issues are the screen absorbs the IR from the sun and cannot dissipate it without active cooling. If you have IR filtering windows this might be less of an issue. Scott has a great article on Window options in the latest magazine.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• My solution to the overheating issue is to carry a second IPad. You can load Foreflight on two IPads. If one overheats, I place it on the floor in front of the air vent and use the other one. It cools in just a couple of minutes.

• My solution is not perfect, but I carry the larger iPhone with me and in the few instances where I have had my ipad pro over heat I just went to my iphone. All information is on iphone and suffices until I land or ipad cools down. I have not had an instance where my iphone has overheated.

• I have used the X-Naut cooling holder with two iPad minis for a number of years and have never had an overheating problem. I power the unit from the ship's power bus so no problem with batteries.

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)