Aircraft Covers

I fly helicopters to support my love of Cherokees. The cover we have on the helicopter is a soft synthetic like tyvek but white on one side and grey and soft on the other. The company who makes the cover won't divulge where they get the material or what it is called. Does anyone know where I can get this type of material to make a lightweight non-scratching cover for my 180?

Comments

• Can you source bulk microfiber clothe, like still on the bolt?

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Can’t help you on what the material is called but I recently bought a travel cover from Macs covers. It is lightweight and the windshield is cover with a soft inner material. The service, fit and quality are top notch and price was about half that of Bruce’s covers.

https://www.airplane-covers.com/mac/

• edited May 2023

BrianM;

+1 for Macs covers. I have been posting about Macs covers here for years. Have also owned Bruce and Kennon in the past.

All are of equal and excellent quality. The difference (as you mentioned), is that Macs is less than half the price.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Most of the manufacturers use a fabric commonly known as "Sunbrella" for the exterior of the cover. I don't know what the felt material is called, but instead of making your own it's worth a couple phone calls to get pricing on an already constructed cover.

You may contact Kennon, Bruce, and Macs covers. You'll love Macs quality and price.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I have been a Kennon customers for 10 years, and their covers were in my opinion, the best quality on the market. However, when I decided to change colors on my cover a couple years ago, I discovered they no longer make GA covers.

https://www.kennonproducts.com/

Sunbrella material is a bare minimum. I saw one cover from Bruce’s and it was severely lacking in my eyes. The material was thinner than a pilots Wallet after filling both wings with 100LL and the ramp fee on top of that. It was flapping in a light breeze. No thank you.

• edited May 2023

My plane was tied down on the ramp for 18 years, so I went through a couple covers.

The Kennon cover I owned was very nice and silky smooth inside and out. Unfortunately, brutal Chicago winters and sun baked summers took it's toll on the cover. When I searched for a new cover, I looked at Kennon, Bruce, and ultimately found Macs. As Unit74 mentioned, Kennon no longer makes GA covers, so unless anyone knows of others, the choice boils down to Bruce or Macs.

To be clear, Macs told me their outer fabric was "similar" to Sunbrella (a trade name). I doubt Macs, or Bruce will reveal their actual material (inside or out), which was vreiley's original question.

I've had my Macs cover for 13 years. It fits very snugly, has proven itself to be extremely durable through all kinds of weather and has done a great job protecting the cabin, which (regardless of brand) is the primary purpose. I take it with me any time I go somewhere overnight. The people at Macs were great to work with and very responsive. The fact that it was 1/2 the price of the others was just icing on the cake.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Macs told me today that they were unable to make me a non-insulated cover day. Rather unusual given they already make them in an insulated version. A bit confusing to say the least.

• Bruce’s told me an order today takes 4-6 weeks and all covers are special order status. They offer Sunbrella in three colors only; silver, red and black.

They are offering a 10% discount right now, which basically pays for tax/shipping. So the listed price on the website is essentially what you pay out the door.

• edited June 2023

Unit;

When you say "insulated", I presume you're referring to the soft felt-like fabric that is sewn in to cover the windshield?

If yes, that's for windshield protection (hail, grit, etc.). Had it on both my Kennon and Mac's covers, and I wouldn't go without it. Story below.

There is/was a rock crushing company across the street from our airport, so when the wind was right (seemed like always), all that fine rock powder would blow over and get into every crevice of our planes including under our canopy covers. Every time the wind would move the cover a bit, the rock particles acted like sandpaper on the windshield. I could have made a lot of money on all the windshields I buffed out, but they were my friends and I didn't charge them.

Both the Kennon and Mac's covers I owned had the "felt" matrix layer sewn in, and fit very snugly, so my windshields had zero damage.

I realize most airports don't have rock crushing machines across the street, but I highly recommend having the protective layer.

PS - I still can't believe that the airport booted you from the hangar while you were making payments. I'd have a close look at your lease/agreement paperwork. Doesn't seem legal. Maybe some of our lawyer members will chime in.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• No, I am referring to a cold weather insulation. Looks like autocorrect got me. I was asking them to make an engine cover. They already make them in insulated, and they advert a non insulated option. But when I asked and even sent pics, I wa flat out told Mac would not make one. Rather striking they would turn down such a basic order request. Maybe they are swamped or something.

I am familiar with the windshield materials. My Kennon cover has it.

• edited June 2023

My guess is that the contract says that they "can terminate lease at any time in their sole discretion...". That would be my guess. Maybe not nice and maybe not ethical but it's their hangar.... Anyway, I would certainly read the lease and find out for sure. Keep in mind that it will be very slanted in favor of the organization that wrote the lease; namely the airport.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• I plan on doing a write up, lessons learned piece when my angst, bitter taste and emotions calm down on my entire avionics upgrade experience. I’ve taken it from all angles at this point.