New AD on exhaust/turbo-charger for certain turbo charged only planes

New AD on exhaust/turbo-charger for certain turbo charged only planes

Scott Sherer
Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

Comments

• I don't see the Piper Turbo Arrow (TCM TSIO-360-FB engine) on the list. Did we dodge a bullet or is the engine used in any of the affected airplanes?

DJ

• Hi DJ,

That's the first thing I looked for, too. This must just be for large-bore engines. Halleluiah!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I'm a bit suspicious that "a v-band clamp is a v-band clamp" no matter what the [turbo] application. Maybe different sizes (diameters) but the failure modes of concern would, IMHO, be the same. Just a matter of time before the AD expands to include more engines?

DJ

• Very good question. I guess we'll monitor this...

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• If I'm reading it correctly, applicability is per the table on page 22:

PA–23, PA–23–160, PA–23–235, PA–23–250, PA–23–250 (Navy UO–1), PA–E23– 250, PA–24–250, PA–24–260, PA–24–400, PA–28–201T, PA–28R–201T, PA– 28RT–201T, PA–30, PA–31, PA–31–325, PA–31–350, PA–31P, PA–31P–350, PA–32– 260, PA–32R–300, PA–32RT–300T, PA–32R–301(SP), PA–32–301T, PA–32R– 301T, PA–34–200, PA–34–200T, PA–34–220T, PA–39, PA–44–180T, PA–46–310P, and PA–46–350P.

In the estimated costs table on page 17, FAA's use of $85/hour A&P rate falls somewhere between insulting and delusional..... 🤪

Bob

• Thanks Bob!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• And inspect the clamp gently, they are made of unobtainium. On backorder for ever.

• I asked my maintenance shop to order one and I was told the back order was over 200 days.

• Just got out of annual with my Arrow IV and shop explained it was required after re-reading the AD. They did get one for $700 and signed it off. Argue? Not on this one, but maybe some of you can wait it out for a bit.

• FAA Response: "Three individual commenters requested that the FAA increase the cost per work-hour specified in the NPRM. These commenters stated that $85 per work-hour is too low and does not reflect the true rate charged by their local maintenance facilities, which ranges from $100 to $140 per work-hour. One of these commenters also reported that the estimated records review rate of $42.50 was not supported by industry practice and should be increased. The FAA disagrees. The FAA Office of Aviation Policy and Plans provides the labor rate of $85 per work-hour used when estimating the labor costs for complying with AD requirements. The estimate for the records review rate was based on 1/2 hour at $85 per work-hour. The FAA has not changed this AD as a result of these comments."

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• There are some available for immediate delivery (or at least claimed) for a Pa34-220T.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• I'm trying to track down the part number for these V-BAND's for my PA28R-201T (1977). Can't find a part number in the Piper docs I have....

Pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• I see the TSIO-360-F and the TSIO-360-FB listed in the PDF

Same for the PA28R-201T

Table 1, PDF Page 21

:(

• The part number on my invoice is #653332 if that is helpful.

• Great! Thank you. How many did you need. I looks like I might need 2 or 3 of them ??

• I needed a exhaust part for my Lance II, the part wasn't available in the Piper docs but it is a Lycoming part number...you may want to look there.

• Digitalpilotnm - I believe there is only one in question as is described in a recent FASSTEAM briefing: "v-band couplings installed at the tailpipe to the turbocharger exhaust housing flange (it does not apply to riveted couplings)" You should consult with your mechanic to be sure. There is a fair amount of interpretation going on regarding this AD. FYI, I have a Continental TSIO 360-FB.

• Typo>>> "FAASTeam" above.

• MRBPIPER. do you know where it was sourced from ??

TCM is sayin 229 days :(

• I do not know, try Tornado Alley Turbo.

• Hi, Thank you MRPIPER. They have a "similar" part. Will see what I get in the mail and if my A&P/IA will accept it....