Step by step window replacement?

I saw the 2022 article on window replacement. Is there a step by step “window replacement for dummies” source to walk me through this process? I’m on the cusp of buying all new windows, but I’m concerned about screwing it up.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

Comments

• I did not have to do the front window or the pilot side window but I replaced the other 5 windows in my 180. It really is an easy job. They are held in by pieces of aluminum trim. It involves taking window plastic trim off. Removing a a few screws to take out the aluminum trim, taking window out, cleaning, adding new foam to the new window edge, adding sealant, reinstall. The most complex part and the most visible part is getting a good looking seal on the outside of the window. I followed Scott's advice and taped up the frame and the window until there was maybe 1/16 of an inch gap and then sealed the outside. Immediately took off the tape and it left a nice good looking seal. Be more than happy to discuss if needed.

• Any difference between LP Aero and Great Lakes? They are selling the same options. One better than the other?

• LP Aero will give you a one piece windshield and STC. Otherwise, they are both great companies.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• LP is doing 30% off for OSH 2023. They are making it hard not to dive in!

• I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• I used Great Lakes for my new windows. Was told by the paint shop that their window replacements are closer to Piper's and that little to no trimming would be needed. Right they were! Had no problems with the install. Only recommendation I was given is not to use the liner around the window that they sell, but rather get some Silicon Caulk & Sealant (from Home Depot/Lowes) and go around each window hole with the Caulk before pressing the window into place. Then starting with the bottom, screw each frame into place.

• I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• Does anyone have a shop in the mid-west (Indiana) they would recommend installing the LP-Aero one piece windshield replacement in a Cherokee 235?

• Spring City Aviation at Burlington Wisconsin (BUU) did mine 2 years ago. Ask for Paul Aydt, A+ guys over there.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Any recommendations for a belt sander? It’s one of the tools I’ve never bought! El cheapo harbor freight or do I really need a top shelf unit? In 50 years I’ve never really needed one.

• Get el cheapo from harbor freight. It only has to work for one project! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!