GTN 650xi, G5s and STEC 30

I just replaced my old GNS 430W with the GTN 650xi GPS/COMM/NAV and added dual G5s (ADI and HSI). I have a STEC 30 2-axis autopilot with altitude hold (previous install) that was coupled to the new navigator and G5s. The Garmin GAD 29B, GMU 11, GAD 13, and GTP 59 were also installed. My understanding is the STEC 30 should be able to fly a coupled approach including turns and steering (no vertical control), but have not been able to get the setting correct. I load a course and approach in the 650 and activate (GPS), set STEC 30 to HDG and select GPSS on the HSI. The autopilot flys the leg fine, but does not make the turn. Any insight from anyone on the forum with a similar setup would be appreciated. Piper PA-28R-201T aircraft.

Ben

Comments

• Ben, does the 650 make the turn for final approach? I ask to confirm it is not a sequencing issue.

If you let it go, what does the STEC 30 do, still hold the last course indefinitely? If you sequence to the missed what happens?

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Eric,

Does not appear to be a sequencing issue. The installation is new, so I am still trying different things. On reaching the missed approach point, the GTN does ask to execute the missed approach or remain suspended. With the limited testing I have done so far, the STEC 30 appears to hold the inbound course to the IAF. I am not sure how long that would go on as I disengaged the autopilot shortly after it was clear it was not going to make the turn.

Flying without the autopilot, the GTN functions as expected. Thanks.

Ben

• Ben, I took a quick look into this and I am not sure the STEC30 can fly the full coupled approach including the intercept. From a rough read of the manual, it looks as if you might need to hand fly the intercept and then engage the AP in High Track mode.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Eric,

Flew again this morning to try some different settings. The STEC 30 will fly the programed flight path including the intercept to the designated IAF and then the horizontal profile. Of course there is no vertical adjustment, but that can be done by disengaging altitude hold and adjusting trim and power. Works great! Not sure what I did not configure correctly on the previous flight, but flew four profiles and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the help.

Ben

• That's great! I wonder if the GPSS mode makes the difference from the prior I was reading.

Smart of you to figure it all out before in IMC!

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• I have the 430w, STEC 30 with GPSS, and dual G5s as well. The STEC 30 handles the approaches well. It does go into a pause mode at the MAP.