Static Wick alternatives

It seems that mechanics have no problem breaking my static wicks off with regularity. I have had to replace probably 6 wicks in 7 years. Right now, I have three wicks broken off. Of course, MX says “ wasn’t me” and leaves me holding the bag. My plane has Granger SW10-96 wicks on it.

Is there some other wick I can use that won’t break off like these ones? The ones I have are flimsily aluminum bases and basically garbage. If you brush against them they break. At $50 a piece, it’s getting stupid to replace them. Any advice?

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

Comments

• You might consider if you really need them, or were they simply on the aircraft at purchase?

• They are there, there is a paint impression, and it’s part of the IFR cert if I am not mistaken. Just irritating they keep getting broken off. I will replace them even if it’s not technically necessary. But a cheaper or more robust option is appreciated!

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• edited August 2023

Maybe this for a less expensive option?

• Unit74;

Here's a few options.

Option 1 - Hold the shop responsible for damage to your plane. Take pics before and after going to the shop as proof.

Option 2 - You may be able to switch to a more flexible style wick. They're still not cheap, but may tolerate being bumped without breaking.

Option 3 - Consider mounting a few wicks up high on the trailing edge of the rudder, as that will keep them out of harms way when your plane is in the shop or on the ramp.

Option 4 - Physically remove the wicks before sending your plane to the shop, and reinstall them afterwards. It's extra work, but may save you from having to purchase expensive new wicks.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• If Unit74's plane is anything like mine, moving the wicks up the rudder is not really an option as they are on all the control surfaces (flaps too). Only real way to move most of them higher is to buy a Cessna 😑

For removing as part of maintenance / annual prep, do not recall whether the screws are aluminum or stainless, but either way they are soft. So this action is not all that appealing either.

Simply not a great path forward here unless willing to go the DIY route and make replacements out of insulated braided wire and crimp connectors.