Documenting ADs

I have searched the FAA documents, and not found a definitive answer to the question if PPL owners can officially document that a particular AD is not applicable to their aircraft? Can anyone help and provide direction to the appropriate reference?

Ben

Comments

• Ben,

I think only an A&P IA can do that but I am not sure where it is documented.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• i do not recall what data base it was, but my former AP would plug in my make model and S/N into the system and it would spit out a list of what ADs applied. Hopefully one of the APs can roger up with what that system was. Otherwise, old school is the path forward me thinks.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• In general, the mechanics should document AD applicability in the logs,,,, HOWEVER occasionally one comes out, like a flight manual revision, that specifically STATES the owner/operator can verify compliance. In all events, the owner/operator is responsible for making sure AD's are complied with .

Carl

Dose not have to be a IA

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N

• As part of my annual my IA believes he is required to assert that all ADs associated with my airplane (airframe, engine, prop, accessories) have been complied with - either as one time or, if recurrent, noting the time (date or elapsed hours) of next action. Not all associated ADs are applicable because of model, serial number, TIS, etc. If applicable, each compliance must be signed off in the logs by an individual authorized to comply with the particular AD. This is usually an A&P but an owner/operator might be authorized for a particular AD. I think the regs support his position but am willing to consider evidence to the contrary.

DJ

• If it is truly not applicable, you don't need to document anything.

• True most of the time,, ,here is what happens. Classic example is the sintered oil pump ger AD from decades back. I have had the fun pleasure of taking a rear case apart on several Pipers to verify the AD was either done, or NA. Reason being that no mech/owner ever documented applicability or a shop never mentioned in the overhaul/repair statement. All three of these we did were almost 10 years after the compliance dates. Granted, many are rather simple to verify. If you have a PA28 and a ad comes out for any model in the line, just make a statement of NA by model number . I put it at least one time in a log entry, to help the next guy.

carl

48 yrs A/P IA DAL aircraft inspector. 172N

• I appreciate the responses and perspectives. Thanks.

Ben

• edited November 2023

The FAA only requires documentation of applicable ADs. But, a good A&P will document and sign off ADs that are associated, but not applicable by reason of serial number, install, date, etc. Otherwise, the next mechanic has no way of knowing for sure if he needs to do them. If an AD is listed as “does not apply” and there’s NOT an A&P (or pilot’s -if allowed) signature and number, then FAA says the next A&P can’t rely on that to determine it’s applicability. Signing off non-applicable ADs saves the owner money as the next guy won’t need to research them.