Electric Trim Piper Arrow

Hello all,

My 1977 Turbo Arrow's electric trim was disconnected during the installation of dual Dynon HGX panels. The servo is intact and the switch is on the yoke. The wiring to the unit was also removed. I was told you need a functioning autopilot in order to get it working (no autopilot in this plane). Not sure if thats true or not. My question is can I simply run a few wires from a power source to the unit and the switch to get it going?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

Comments

• I’m pretty sure the Piper electric trim system is independent of the autopilot. At least in my T Lance it was. I don't know what it would take to get it up and running, but I’m very skeptical of that initial allegation.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• What was the original AP? For my Seneca with a King AP (KFC 200) the King trim system replaces the original piper system.

I think your shop is right and you cannot just hook it up again. You could likely retrofit the original system (for planes without AP) but it might be challenging to find all the parts. Dynon has an AP for the Seneca but not the Piper single engines.

I have attached an old document for reference. It has no doubt been superseded.

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• Awesome thanks guys.

• Not sure what autopilot was in prior but will research it.