Windshield cleaner

Ammonia-free Windex.

OK for Archer windshield?

Comments

• edited November 2023

Yes, ammonia-free cleaners should be fine.

Use a micro-fiber cloth for streak free and scratch free windows.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I highly suggest using either Plexus or what many of us do, Washwax All instead. The Washwax All leaves a slick, clear film that aids in bugs sliding off when they hit or the splats come clean super easy.

You can get it on Amazon or just about any Aviation retailer. I buy the concentrate and use distilled water to mix.

I own and fly a 79 PA32RT-300T. Previous aircraft are a 79 Archer and 76 Arrow.

• From flying mag:

Some of the key items are don't clean in a circular motion, using plenty of water and your ring free hand is a good start to free up debris. Keep pressures as light as possible. If it is covered in bugs use a foaming product designed for windows and let it soak to soften them up.

If the window is dirty using a clean microfiber towel is not going to be clean for long and the dirt on the towel can scratch. Most of the scratches you see on a window are from cleaning...

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• My trick: I buffed my windshield until it was crystal clear, then ceramic coated it (see post on ceramic coating). Bugs come off with a damp microfiber towel, just like the leading edges.

Eric has a good point. If the windshield is really dirty, a small cloth will just move the dirt around. Rinse the towel often. Lots of clear water is important.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I always use a soft brush and soapy water, preferably a rinse with a pressure washer then dry with an old cloth diaper. Then polish with Pledge furniture polish. I never clean it with towels, paper or otherwise. Same practice apples to the windscreen on the Harley. Most of the scratches on the Archer were there when I got it, the bike windscreen is still crystal.

• Use non detergent soap and water. You can find these liquid soaps from auto supply dealers that provide car cleaners designed to remove dirt but not wax. Your clean hands, fingers and thumb are good for removing bugs on a soapy windshield, washcloth not really required. Once clean and dry, use plexus spray which is specifically designed for plexiglass. Spray sparingly and remove with clean microfiber cloth. Plexus will also remove any left over bug residue that you may have missed during the initial soap and water phase. Note: I searched the web and this product seems to be out of stock. You can purchase on ebay, but will be paying much higher than MSRP. Cannot confirm, but some claim that Pledge is the same or very similar in formulation to Plexus.

• To each his own 😬

This has always worked well for me.

• Mike,

I looked into this product and it is not approved for planes due to the unique nature of plane plastic and the challenging environmental conditions they operate in. There also is widespread concern on the internet that the slippy nature of the film could lead to a tail stall even at cruise speeds.

Santa had the same challenge and needed to submit a 337 to get approval for his sleigh and still cannot fly over Canada due to the conflicting regulations. He had to add two reindeer and now has a new weight limit making it even harder to compete with Amazon.

I am also concerned you are prioritizing vision over the inherent training advantages of a dusty, scratched and crazed windshield. When the sun is just right you can fly a 0-0 approach at many fields that those with clean windows consider "VFR".

I've ordered some to test out - thanks for the tip!

Eric

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• 😂😂😂

Happy Holidays Eric!