Arrow III Landing Gear Issue

Hello everyone,

My 1977 Turbo Arrow III has been giving me an intermittent landing gear problem when in the retracting phase of operation. While doing touch and goes, after the third or forth take off, the switch is placed in the up position and nothing happens. The red "unsafe" light illuminates but stays on. I'm not sure what the gear is doing for obvious reasons but I don't feel any evidence of the pump engaging. When engaging the switch back to down position three green lights appear, red unsafe light goes out and we land without issue.

This has happened three times now. One suggestion was the squat switch. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks ,

Todd

Comments

• Possible, but intermittent failures to the squat switch are rare, especially if it's properly adjusted.

Has your gear up/down switch ever been replaced, or is it still original?

• Time for a gear swing (or two) on jacks. Could be wiring, relay, pumps , motor, leaks, etc. From your description it sounds like the switch is working.

The "cost" of retractable gear is the maint time spent troubleshooting systems like this. It is unavoidable and important for safety.

It is unlikely to be the squat switch as you get as gear unsafe with the gear lever up. I think it would just fail to respond at all. Check the wiring diagram on this.

As soon as you find a conclusive cause I would swing the gear another 10 times giving some time for the pump to recover. If the pump cycles and there are no obvious leaks suspect the emergency dump valve has an internal leak (probably a torn or degraded o-ring)

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• The first time this problem occurred, we were doing touch and goes and the gear wouldn't come up after the 4th departure. The plane was jacked the next day and the gear cycled. About 8 times. No problems.

Then yesterday during touch and goes it failed to come up after the 5th departure. It was after this time a mechanic suggested the squat switch.

Not sure if the gear switch is the original. I'm going out to the airport tomorrow. I'll post if there is any new info.

Thanks all,

Todd

• Todd,

You don't hear the motor at all? it is possible the squat switch turns the gear warning light on if the gear lever is in the wrong position. See manual entries below. These are not likely your exact plane

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• @Shempinator III

Has your gear issue been resolved?

What has been the outcome?

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.

• Update on the gear issue.

I jacked the plane and cycled the gear 10 times. No problems, worked normally. I have been flying since and never had an issue. not really sure what the problem was or is. I went ahead and ordered a new squat switch for peace of mind.

I'll have more info later.

Thanks

• It is gremlins. More info when you have it.

Thx

1973 Arrow II factory AC removed

G5’S, G275, GNX375 Still can get lost.