OK, I OWN A DAKOTA,NOW WHAT?

JUST JUMPED IN TO A 82 DAKOTA. HAPPY DAY I THINK?

I PLANNED ON UPGRADES…ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME.

DAVID DILLEHAY

Comments

• Congrats! The first priority is to fly it! I would put at least 20 hrs on before looking at upgrades as then you will have a much better perspective on what you really need vs want.

Where are you based?

Have fun!

Eric

Eric Panning
    1981 Seneca III
    Hillsboro, OR (KHIO)

• edited April 6

Congratulations!

To answer the question, I have my favorite question: What is the typical mission?

As an example, the minimum slate of things is different for a VFR flyer versus a heavy IMC flyer. So, where / how does the Dakota need to fly? Planning to carry people prone to motion sickness? Planning to carry people prone to altitude sickness or in the ~50+ territory? Planning to regularly fly at night? The list of questions is nearly endless and driven from the mission.

Will also help to know the Dakota's starting point in terms of equipment and any aftermarket items.

• David;

First of all, congrats on becoming a Dakota owner! It's a very capable airplane.

Agree with Eric. Start flying it. 20 hrs is a great number to begin with. Fly a mix of pattern work, maneuvers, and take it on some long x-country flights.

During that time, learn and become comfortable with the plane's quirks. Monitor fuel burn, oil consumption, etc., and listen to the plane closely. It will usually tell you when/if it needs something.

You'll also determine what you can live with vs the "That's cool! I want one!" upgrades. We've all been there (and many of us still are)! 🤣

Of course whenever you have questions, come here for answers!

Wishing you many happy hours in your new bird!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• I WILL BE BASED AT PEARLAND REGIONAL (JUST SOUTH OF HOUSTON, KLIV.

THANKS

DAVE DILLEHAY

• Do you mean KLVJ?

The Dakota is very capable, I've owned a 235C for twelve years and loved it. Been all over the country...great traveling bird...Good luck and have fun. We spent some time at Victoria Tx (KVCT) and loved the area...

• David,

I agree with the other comments. What is the mission and how is the airplane configured currently? I've owned mine over 7 years and it's been a continuous upgrade process but it's been tremendously rewarding.

Matt

PA28-236 KRFD

• We have had the Dakota for over 20 years. Very solid and comfortable plane to fly.

We just upgraded our avionics with 2 Garmin G5's and Garmin auto pilot.

It is a dream to fly.

Good luck !!!