Beginner Formation Flying

Hey Guys!

About a year ago, my primary instructor took me up flying with him and his AA-5 Formation flying group. It was one of the most thrilling flying days of my life, and I resolved to learn to control my bird with that level of precision.

Now here I am, a PPL with 160 hours, and I'm starting to reach the point where I think I'm ready to start learning the art.

The issue is, well, where and how? My instructor suggested that I find a type-specific group to learn with, as he did, because it is much easier to deal with a flight where all ships are roughly equal. I tend to agree. The only question is, how might I go about finding such a group here in the sf bay area?

Any of you guys involved in formation flying? Are there any active PA-28-140 formation groups?

Any input would be tremendously appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Sounds like a lot of fun, where are you located??
  • Last Saturday a RV8 pilot was killed when flying formation with YAK at DCU, close formation should be left to the pros who pratice, I have flown like flygirl has, at a safe distance, please be careful, my daughter witnessed this accident at a very close range, the RV had its wing sheared off, the yak landed safety with damage
  • I know the Cessna Owners Group sponsors formation training every Spring, in preparation for their big formation flight into Osh. I actually attended the one last year down in Dothan AL (yes, they let a Piper participate!) and it was good fun. It's not hard to learn the basics to keep you safe...of course, we weren't training to fly in close proximity.

It came in very handy not long after, though, when I needed to ferry my plane back into KPDK (underneath Hartsfield airspace) without a working transponder. We got agreement from ATC to fly in formation with my buddy in his lead C-172 squawking for us both.