Clearing turns

Hello,

What are the proper techniques for clearing turns on the private pilot check ride and which maneuvers must they be performed prior to?

Is there any official text describing such?

Thanks in advance.

Scott

Comments

• Hopefully this will help to answer your question. It is taken from the following source.

FAA-H-8083-3A Airplane Flying Handbook

“There are many different types of clearing procedures.
    Most are centered around the use of clearing turns. The
    essential idea of the clearing turn is to be certain that
    the next maneuver is not going to proceed into another
    airplane’s flightpath. Some pilot training programs
    have hard and fast rules, such as requiring two 90°
    turns in opposite directions before executing any
    training maneuver. Other types of clearing procedures
    may be developed by individual flight instructors.
    Whatever the preferred method, the flight instructor
    should teach the beginning student an effective clearing
    procedure and insist on its use. The student pilot
    should execute the appropriate clearing procedure
    before all turns and before executing any training
    maneuver. Proper clearing procedures, combined
    with proper visual scanning techniques, are the most
    effective strategy for collision avoidance.”
  • With a low wing aircraft, keeping a constant altitude I do a 30 degree bank 360 degree turn, I not only check my altitude but well above and below. I have strobes, beacon and landing lights on. I also monitor local airport frequency and if applicable local ATC frequency for aircraft on IFR flight approaching or departing the area.

In a high wing aircraft I do the turn in 90 degree steps with a level out at each step to chech the hidden area blocked by the wing.

Also in a climb I drop the nose about once a minute to clear the airspace in front of me that is hidden by the nose. This spring a friend of mine had a midair during a climbout with another aircraft that was on climbout from another airport. My friend and his family all survived, they lost 2/3rds of their vertical stabilizer and most of the rudder, the other plane , A cessna 210, received nose gear damage and landed ok but with out a nose gear.

It does happen even out west with very few aircraft flying around...
  • Mountain Pilot

"In a high wing aircraft I do the turn in 90 degree steps with a level out at each step to chech the hidden area blocked by the wing."

That is a great tip on leveling the wings every 90 degree step for the 360 and checking the blocked view hidden by the wing.

PaulR
  • Hi, guys! Renato, brazilian, new member, Archer II pilot, former Citabria pilot.
    Great tips indeed! I agree entirely with all of you, but I'd like to remind that despite all the clearing procedures one must not count only on it, but also on radio communications. I guess it's not acceptable these days the old flying way, just you and the rush of the wind. Even with the radio on, one can never be sure all fellows are paying attention.
    I'm pretty sure most of you, if not all of you are used to doing the same!
    Good flights!

Renato Tucunduva,

Sao Paulo, Brazil
  • Start you clearing turn on a cardinal heading (360, 030,060, etc.) You are required to do 180 degrees total. Always start with a clearing turn to the left since traffic is technically suppose to pass on the right. Continue your turn 90 degrees to the left(30 deg bank) then level the wings. Then being your 90 degree turn to the right back to your original heading. With two people in the plane, make sure one person looks high and one low using the recommended scanning technique. Never had any problem with students on their checkrides using this technique. Remember you are PIC...you tell the examiner what's up!!

Greg
    CFI, CFII, MEI