Wing Root Seal Installation

I plan to replace the old, hard wing root seals when my plane is getting the annual done in June. Who here has done this? Is it a tough job? Looks like a couple plastic putty knives, a needle nose pliers, an Xacto knife and some slick liquid soap should get the job done. Any tips you could give would be much appreciated!!!

I love to defy gravity!
1979 Arrow IV

Comments

• edited May 2019

And some silicone in the tough areas. It's easy but it will drive you to drink. I've done it many times and absolutely hate doing it, lol, especially underneath. But it looks so good when it's done. Put these items in at the same time if you haven't done so already. Take pics and post before and after here. https://www.knots2u.net/flap-fuselage-gap-seal-kit-piper-pa-28-models-28ffh/ https://www.knots2u.net/wing-root-fairing-kit-piper-pa-28-models-28wr/
    https://www.knots2u.net/piper-wing-root-seal-pa-28-pa-32-pa-34-pa-38-pa-44-kit-for-one-wing-piper-part-65773-00-65773-000-187-526-65773-02-65773-002/ https://www.knots2u.net/piper-wing-bolt-cover-piper-63942-00-and-63942-01/

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott, I already have the wing root fairing kit, the gear lobe kit, the flap hinge fairing kit, and the flap/fuselage fairing kit. All that is going to be done, by me, when it's getting the annual, supervised by the mechanics at Bismarck Aero Center. Oh yeah, and a new Hartzell stc scimitar prop and composite spinner! I want to have all the bolt-on stuff done before it goes in for paint this winter. A guy told me to use KY jelly...yes, THAT KY jelly, to lube the wing root seals during installation. He said it really works good. Wonder how many tubes of that I need to buy??? I can just see the lady's face at the checkout when I walk up with a half dozen tubes of KY jelly... :D:D:D

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Picture yourself buying a dozen tubes of KY and then read Scott’s last post aloud as if you are talking to the cashier.

Paul

1963 Cherokee 180 B.

• OMG Harley and Paul, too funny! I'm just sitting here laughing and my wife wants to know why. How do I explain this?!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited May 2019

And that is why internet commerce is so popular! In years past, when teaching underwater cave diving in north Florida, it was always an awkward moment when 3-4 tired cave divers stopped in at the local store and bought KY. We used it for the neck and wrist seals on our drysuits.

1974 Arrow II
    ATP CFII MEI CFIG A&P AGII FCC GROL with Radar Endorsement

• Remember the year 2000? Y2K? We used that stuff back then. It was called Y2KY jelly :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Scott... :D:D

I love to defy gravity!
    1979 Arrow IV

• Y2KY? Because 1KY was not enough.

• Ha! Good one :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Wing Root Seal: As my old instructor taught me - if the tool ain't right, the guy ain't bright. I discovered a neat little tool that helped me install the neoprene seals much easier. It's one of those 2 inch paint roller handles. The kind that is sold at walmart to holdd small paint rolers.. It has a plastic handle and a 1/2 inch L shaped metal bar (that is where the roller would go) I found out that by using this and walking it along pushing the root seal it, I could fit and form the seal better to the gap. I would push the seal down witht the paint handle with much better leverage than using putty knives. I would hold the seal in is place with a paint stick stirrer and worked my way forward. I also used foaming hand soap as the lubricator. I could pump it on the seal and not get it on the outside and make it slippery work.

• Based on the installation discussion above, a good quality spline tool would seem ideal, has that been tried?

• Good ideas, guys. Thanks for telling me about it!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• I bought new seals for the annual, but my mechanic said my old seals are fine...he also added "them are a b*%$# to install"...looool.... he painted them instead!

• Sound advice lol

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Brown’s Aircraft supply has a softer seal that is much easier to install. When I had my Saratoga painted last year, they used it. They did tear a small area around the front radius but I sealed it and installed wing root fairings. Looks great,

• Thanks Tim!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!