New member and New Dakota owner

I've been lurking on the site for about a month and absorbing all the content, and finally decided to come out of the shadows. My wife and I just bought a 1980 Dakota, and hope to take delivery by the end of May. It's going through annual and having a few squawks taken care of.

I got my PPL last summer, and my wife is about half way through hers. I am slowly working on my IFR, but hope to accelerate that now that we are owners. We're looking forward to many adventures. Like everyone else, I spent a lot of time researching what would fit our needs best, and landed on the PA28-236.

We'll be flying commercially with our CFI to pick it up, and take our time coming home (600 nm direct), learning the plane and the avionics. It has dual G5's, GTN 650 WAAS and STEC55 to mention a few.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for the group later, but wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

Regards.

Art Schmidt
1980 Piper Dakota
Great Falls, MT

Comments

• Welcome to the group Art and congrats on purchasing your Dakota! I've found this to be a very friendly and helpful group of Piper followers. If you have them, post pics of your new bird!

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Welcome, Art and spouse! Lots of good information and contacts here on the forum. Where are you (and your plane!) located?

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• We are based in Great Falls, MT, KGTF.

Art Schmidt
    1980 Piper Dakota
    Great Falls, MT

• Art Schmidt
    1980 Piper Dakota
    Great Falls, MT

• Looking good, Art! Don't believe what you hear, though, we're all horrible people. :) Good luck taking delivery and this is the place to come for support!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• yes...HORRIBLE! Specifically, Scott! ;) Background of your photo is Medford, OR. Should be a quick trip home for you in the Dakota. Enjoy the trip and you are very wise in having your CFI accompany you. Cheers!!

Jim Torley
    CFI-A/I/G
    1969 Arrow 200
    Based at KFLY (Colorado Springs, CO)

• edited May 2020

And Scott is the most optimistic one in the group. ;):D

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• We are all loyal and loving Piper owners :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Beautiful airplane Art, and looks nicely equipped. Looking forward to hearing about the trip bringing your bird home.

Jim "Doc Griff" Griffin
    PA28 - 161
    Chicago area

• Beauty!

1967 PA28-140