Can you add factory AC to a 1979 Piper Archer II which was optional

Just bought a 1979 Piper Archer II. The POH states that some of these planes came with the optional Air Conditioning. Can this be installed on my airplane and do you know of any companies that can do this ? Can that AC system be bought somewhere ? Thanks. Paul

Comments

• Hi Paul,

The only way you're going to get an AC for your plane is by buying one out of another plane being parted out. Like Wentworth or other company. Since it was on the type certificate you can reinstall it one part at a time. You'll need an IA to sign off and a new weight and balance.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Great idea ! Thanks for the prompt response I really appreciate your help Scott.

• My pleasure, Paul!

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Hi Paul, My 1980 Archer left the factory with A/C. It was removed many years ago before I purchased it. Before it was removed there were many entries in the logs of service issues with the A/C. The removed parts were in boxes that came with the plane. I was able to use the air blower to move cool air from my home made "ice chest A/C unit" to the overhead vent system. The electric plug was still there so the fan switch on the panel controls the blower. I mounted the blower unit in the baggage area. I used dryer vent ducting to move the air from the ice chest cooling unit through the blower to the overhead vents. It's not real A/C but it does pretty well for the cost.
    Enjoy your project and let us know how it comes together.
    TMcC

• Thanks so much for reaching out to me
    I just bought an Artic Air Cooler and I think I will hook it up the way you suggested

Take care , Paul

• Paul this is how I mounted the A/C fan that would have been in the tail originally. If you could use the Artic air duct to blow through the duct to the overhead vents that may be good for air distribution. I can look for more photos to show how I connected the cooler chest I that would be helpful.
    TMcC

• Here are some additional pictures.