New member saying Hi From NJ

Hello all, new here and a new Piper Arrow owner.
Just got back into flying after 18 years in hiatus. Got my first airplane - 1975 PA-28R-200.
Plane went into annual after pre-buy just before lockdown started. I was lucky to find a great instructor to check me out in this airplane as it gone done with the annual in April.

I was able to use the downtime to get instrument rated. Really enjoying the airplane and learning about her.

She has a 430W. Hoping to upgrade a few things on her in the next several months / years.

Really excited to be a part of piperowner.org

I am based at Old Bridge 3N6.

Looking forward to learning a lot more about pipers here :-)

Comments

• Welcome aboard, Sid! We're glad to have you and if there's anything that I can do to help you, that's why I'm here. :) Post a few pics when you can.

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Sid, you're bringing back memories. I sold my Skylane to someone down in Old Bridge. Just about the time you went on hiatus.

Question for someone recently through the instrument process: do instrument students still train on ADF approaches? do they do it with a directional receiver, or with the GPS?

Bob (Boston)

• Are there still NDB approaches out there? I know, at least for the check ride, you don’t have to do an approach that the plane isn’t equipped for (I.e., no ADF, no NDB approach required).

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• Jim - when someone calls up this week requesting 24 practice NDB 5 approaches at KRYV, you'll know it's me. Now, which days did you say you're working, again? :-) Bob

• Ha, I work one airspace to the south! We don’t have any NDB approaches in Chicago Approach airspace!

Jim M.
    PA-28R-200
    Based at BUU
    ATC Chicago TRACON

• There still is one NDB approach near me but far enough away that they don't make you go there for an Instrument check ride to fly one. That is my understanding from the CFII's I know.

Andy Sikora
    1972 PA28R-200
    X51
    Retired Miami ATCT/Tracon

• Sid,

Welcome aboard. I have a Piper Dakota based at KOQN Brandywine airport PA.

• Thank you all... Good to be here. Lot to learn about the Arrow I am flying, need to read and a lot and this is the best place for that.

• Had 30 hours of IFR training from 2001/2002 where NDB was used often.
    In my recent training, main focus for me was using the 430W. It was totally new for me.
    I practiced VOR, DME Arc, ILS, and a bunch of RNAV approached.
    On my check ride, I was tested on ILS/RNAV / VOR-A. I thought I failed the ride more than once. It was a handful :-)
    Glad I am over it.

• Hi Sid,
    Of all the things in my life that have been difficult but rewarding, the instrument rating takes the cake on both. Most difficult and most rewarding. Also, I did a webinar recently on the Arrow. Here's a link: https://piperowner.org/webinar-what-every-arrow-owner-needs-to-know-by-scott-sherer/

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Scott for sending me that link. Just learning to navigate this website. So much to learn :-) Just got a chance to view the webinar. Learned a lot. So glad to join this forum. Will certainly be reaching out to Mr. Hart soon.
    Thanks again.

• OK, Sid. If there's anything I can do for you, please let me know!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Welcome, I kept my 140 at Old Bridge when I was force transferred to the Newark Federal Building back in the 1970s. I would love an update from you on where to land in NJ to do a quick run up to Atlantic City to hit the slots. bob

• Thank you Reyob
    Old Bridge is still the same. I would say it is among the trickiest airports in NJ.
    Too bad Bader Field by AC closed several years ago. I guess the closest but expensive (fuel/landing fees/cab) option is ACY, but I think you can also consider 26N / Ocean City, i would assume about a 30-35 mnt drive to the slots.

• Thanks Scott,
    Here are a few questions. So new to airplane ownership that everything seems to be overwhelming.

1. Suggestions on upgrading the landing/taxi light

2. I have a factory air conditioner in the airplane. From what I understand it is a R12 system. Doesn't have any coolant in there now and doesn't fire up. Should I even spend any $s on possibly fixing it or should I just remove the compressor, gain 50+ lbs. Suggestions?

3. thinking of getting a little bit of glass. and get rid of vacum system. I hear that Aspen e5 somewhat works with single axis autopilot I have in the airplane. G5 or 275 doesn't work with the autopilot I have. I got a quote for E5/Trutrak, labor was 15K/Equip 11K, total 26k. Another quote for Garmin dual g5/garmin autopilot 500 was 37K. I don't have that kind of money for sure. Any suggestion?

4. last question - interior upgrade, seats / carpet / walls - how difficult is it to do? Do most people successfully accomplish this project? Suggest vendors for the kit?

Thank you so much for all your help.

• Hi Sid,
    Glad to help! :)
    1. LED landing lights are great. You leave them on all the time from startup to shutdown for extra visibility. They never wear out!
    2. Fix the AC. One day you'll want to sell or trade and someone will want your plane specifically because it has AC. And you'll like having it. With your vacuum system gone you'll pick up 30 pounds so don't worry to much about AC weight.
    3. Pull the vacuum pump and save the 30 pounds. I have an ASPEN in my Arrow and it's great! And with the EA100 adapter you can run your autopilot. Garmin is great equipment but it's way too expensive for many of us. (I have an Avidyne GPS). The ASPEN is a great solution.
    4. Upgrade. I'm on my 5th Airtex interior replacement. Time consuming and tedious but not difficult. I can walk you through it anytime! www.airtexinteriors.com and other suppliers needed. Let me know when you're ready.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you so much Scott..

1. Any suggestion on tried and tested LED light?
    2. Thank you for the advice, my mechanic said the same exact thing. I guess I will look into R134 Conversion kits.
    3. I will reach out to Bob Hart to see if he can spec out E5 and possible autopilot upgrade and also help me find someone to install it close to me.
    4. I will definitely take you up on your offer on Interior. That is on my wifes priority list. I think the interior of our aiplane is in a good shape. Hopefully I can get to it after the avionics upgrade.
  • Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Congrats on the new Arrow and rating! I have loved my Arrow and just finished my IR in it as well. My grandfather had a C172 back in the 70s to fly to 26N /Ocean City because my grandmother loved the beach there so much; and that was what inspired me to get my pilot's license.

Ben S.

IFR Commercial Pilot

1999 Saratoga II TC (KCFO)

Denver, CO

• Thank you AllSportster :-) Tell me more about your arrow :-)
    26N is a good destination for sure. I have planned on lading twice there recently but we always ended up at WWD. Hopefully soon.

• Thank you for the link Scott, debating between the whelen light you suggested and AeroLed - https://www.knots2u.net/aeroled-par36-landing-light-4-950-lumens/

I am leaning towards the AeroLed with Pulsing. I understand it will require another switch for pulse (more $s to install). Looks like this light is 3x brighter as well. Any opinion on it? Thank you Sir.

• I tried to land there a month or two ago on my east coast trip, but a tropical storm was just off the coast and made the winds outside of my comfort zone. As capable as the Arrow is, I'd rather not land in 40kt gusts. Hopefully you get there soon! Say hi to the 34th & Bay Ave area for me!

Ben S.

IFR Commercial Pilot

Denver, CO

• edited July 2020

Hi Sid,

The aeroled is much brighter than the whelen as you mentioned. And, as I recall the aeroled is twice the cost, too. Of course, they're both excellent. I have a fundamental problem spending $450 on one lamp with $2.00 worth of led's in it, lol. :) Good luck, have fun, you'll get a good lamp regardless of which way you go. Have a safe and healthy independence day.

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thank you Scott, totally agree. It is insane what they can charge for a $2 lamp. I ended up ordering the aeroled with pulse. Don't tell wifey :-)

• Thats some insane winds. I wouldn't even dream of attempting landing in those conditions.
    In April / May when I did my check out in the arrow and my IR training, winds were always a challenge so got some good practice with my instructor.
    Is that a Lynx transponder? Looks sweet. Nice panel.

• I would never land in that wind much either. I am a huge proponent of x-wind training with your CFI though. Target the windy days and really master those higher wind landings.

Yep, that is the Lynx. I put in a 530W, GMA345 (the bluetooth and USB have been invaluable), and the Lynx. I have really enjoyed the entire stack. It works great with ForeFlight, but the Lynx unfortunately does not connect to Garmin Pilot if you are an all-Garmin guy.

Ben S.

IFR Commercial Pilot

Denver, CO