I just Bought a 1974 PA28R-200 - Hanger Find

2»

Comments

• The SkyBeacon is a very affordable option...Scott has detailed it’s simplicity of install.

• The install was easy as pie! :)

Scott Sherer
    Wright Brothers Master Pilot, FAA Commercial Pilot
    Aviation Director, Piper Owner Society Forum Moderator and Pipers Author.

Need help? Let me know!

• Glad you got a good deal. Sounds like you are going to have some fun putting it together. Don't let all this overwhelm you. Take one thing at a time. Be very careful with this engine. Nine plus years is a long time for an engine to sit idle especially in the Florida. I did an Annual on a 75 Arrow that sat a long time (Calif.). Prop and engine were not even overhaulable. Hope the prop is sealed. Good luck!!
    Austin

• My A&P Checked it all out and says that all looks Good. He Borescoped the Engine and checked the Compression on all cylinders - all in the Low/Mid 70's. But there are never any guarantees.

• And Yes, I read the very in-depth article from Scott on the Sky Beacon and it is on the list of possibilities, but I am leaning towards the Garmin 345.

• I have the 345 in my turbo Arrow. It sends weather and traffic to my Avidyne 540, Aspen 1000 and via bluetooth to my IPad/Foreflight. Wonderful device :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• edited July 1

Well, here I am... 4 Months to the day that I bought my Arrow and it is now ready to Fly! I got the Annual Signed Off today and the Project of breathing life into a plane that took a 10 Year Nap in a Hangar is Complete (I know, I know.... the project will always go on!). Thanks to everyone that helped me on the Forum and watched the progress. When I have more time, I will list all of the work that was completed. Basically, my A&P and myself worked on it every Sunday except for maybe 4 or 5... just one day/week. We thought that the Air Conditioner would even be working today, but when we started to charge the system with Freon we heard a leak. Come to find out that the Brand New Condenser had a factory defect and there was a hole in it. We are shooting for Friday to install a new replacement and then fly her to her new home in a Hangar at Okeechobee County Airport. That is the day that a friend of mine can fly her for me as I am not checked out in a Complex Aircraft Yet. As I stated at the beginning of the thread, the Purchase Price was $10,000, in the 4 months of Repairs, Labor and Extras came out to $14,626 for a Grand Total Investment of $24,626 for the Arrow. I spent a couple thousand that wasn't necessary buying an additional used interior and several AC Condensers, etc, but they will be needed in the future. Just 2 Fresh Coats of Wingwalk Paint really makes it show well. It was an Awesome Learning Experience and I can't wait to start building time and enjoying the Blue Florida Sky

• Beautiful! Great job! Enjoy

• I'm soooo happy for you! :)

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Congratulations on your great find and restoration. Now do yourself one more favor in that Florida sun and fit a set of window shades for when you park outside! It will save your avionics and interior.

Regards,

Mike
  • Good Tip! I will.

• Best $200 ever spent during the hot, sunny days. I just wrote an article about sun shades and it went out in this weeks Piper Owners Newsletter. Check your email!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Well, after 4 months and 1 week, she flew today for the first time in 10 years! She handled just like the Lady that she was supposed to be! Everything went amazingly well! We flew around for about an hour and then landed at her new home - the local County Airport where I have rented a Hangar! We are flying her again in the morning. I am attaching a few videos of the First Flight. A big thank you to everyone here who has helped me tackle this project!

• I bet that felt good!

Regards,

Mike
  • Dream come true :) Fantastic job!

Scott Sherer

Need help? Let me know!

• Thanks Gentleman!
  • Outstanding, well done.

• Thanks Bill
  • I love it when things work out!!!
    Austin

• Wonderful! This has been a fun post to follow.

Jim

• Thanks Jim! It has been an Incredible Experience for me! And I have Learned So Much!